The BP/wing for PSD question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There are a few threads on here that talk about this and I know that some of you guys have made the move to BPs for your teams. Well, what have you found out and what types are you using?

I've been trialling the DSS set-up with a torus #35 wing and the pro-fit harness.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=harness
I realize the merits of a hog harness (I dive one for sport) but for our team the harness has to be adjustable hence the QR requirement and the choice in the pro-fit.

1) The torus wing is great. This is one of the few (only?) wings that you'll find that deosn't require a single tank adaptor. The tank truly is rock solid on the BP. Some lay claims that a STA isn't needed for their wings but the tank is not that stable without one. This one is as advertised.
We can reduce costs of the rig here as no STA is required
a) performance on the surface. No appreciable tendancy to push me forward when fully inflated on the surface. The larger the wing, the more this may occur - this is a 35lb wing and adequate for what we do. Not sure if wing construction makes any difference here. Most of the air in this bladder would be low
b) tough construction - Looks to be well built and should take a beating but not too much. The material is still functional

2) pro-fit harness. I like the dive rite harness the best as it trully has a no-frills harness but the QR here is only on one side and its non-adjustable - it won't work for us.
a) The DSS harness is functional but it does have a few unecessary "hardware" as part of the system - an assortment of strangely shaped steel attachment points which may interest the tech diver but not really what we're looking for as PSDs. Some of these can't be removed.
Standard steel "D"rings (and only 4) are probably all we need.
b) The chest strap (and attachment) is unecessary and probably best if not there (see d).
c) The choice of webbing and how its reinforced (and where) is good. The BP slots are protected against the friction from the webbing and this should prolong the life of the harness
d) The QR buckles are too low for ease of adjusting strap size and disconnecting while wearing the rig. If the chest strap and its associated attachments were gone I believe these QR buckles could be higher. They need to be pulled down and back to tighten where a only a downwards pull would be easier
All of the adjustable harnesses seem to have this common theme
e) The crotch strap is awkward to adjust but when its in place it does not interfere with weightbelt placement. I've seen some rigs where wearing a weightbelt over the crotch strap will push the belt down and potentially off -- not the case here. The weights can be placed on top of the rig where its supposed to be
f) The waist belt is a fastex buckle as well. Although this will create one more tail of material I think this is a good idea. The buckle is completely different than a weightbelt buckle and so confussion in ditching the right one is avoided even with thick gloves

3) As with any of these system having no pocket is a big minus. We need to have at least one for a back-up mask that is functional. Zippers bind up u/w so velcro is preffered. OMS and Diverite will sell accessory pockets for this.
Thigh pockets are generally subscribed but for the PSD after market pockets on a vulcanized suit is a mess.

4) Price. Even though we're not needing a STA there isn't any real savings on these rigs vs traditional BCs. The merit of streamlined, simple configuration can be balanced out by the lack of pockets. Toss-up

5) weighting. Able to move about 4-5lbs off the weightbelt in lieu of the SS plate. This is a bonus but for the drysuit PSD diver this is barely noticeable. The plate itself shines as there's no flopping around anymore. The flopping is made more pronounced for the PSD as the pony is attached to the main tank. Really sucks on any BCD that is fabric backed

Still on the fence but not being able to adjust the harness easily while wearing it would probably be what would rule it out. I haven't seen an alternative harness that would perform better (OMS, Apeks are the same).
Standard BC's (back or jacket) will adjust far more easily this may have us going back to a hard-backed jacket style (unless there's something else out there). This ability is too important to overlook

What do you guys think?

mark

Mark,

The harness can be modified. Not a big deal. What you need is the the "female" half of the shoulder QR's. Unlace the Polypoint fittings from the upper shoulder Straps and lace on in their place the female half of the Quick Releases. Bingo done.

PM me your address and I'll send you the parts.

As far as weighting is concerned you can loose another 8 lbs off the weight belt with the bolt on weight plates.

Tobin

Hi Tobin

I see what you're saying. That would be an easy fix and the result may be exactly what we need.

Please send me the females and I'll do some more work

thanks

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom