The Cave Politics, Rumor Monger and Gossip Guild is alive and well. Let's end it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably, but it's still common practice in the US. You may not like it. I certainly think it counterproductive for the most part. But it's still fairly common for anyone who feels insulted or otherwise victimized by an employee to inform their employer about the incident. You see the "1-800-how's my driving" bumper stickers on long haulers which is essentially the very same thing. Employers want to know if an employee is alienating customers or potential customers. Look how facebook is used in the non hiring and even firing of employees. You may not like it, but we meow live in a fishbowl...

CATFISH.jpg

I know. I used to run the original cave divers mailing list. In 1996 a then well known cave diving instructor showed up at my office because he was butt hurt by comments George Irvine made about him on the list.

While 1800 stickers on semi's have nothing to do with this situation, one thing is clear, jax was wrong to reach out to try and get james fired.
Reasonable people understand this right away. Only those leveraging her free labor or the delusional wouldn't agree.

Pretty awesome behavior from your own rep, on a thread lamenting politics, rumor and uncivil behavior...the irony is thick.

....one thing is clear, jax was wrong to reach out to try and get james fired.
Reasonable people understand this right away. Only those leveraging her free labor or the delusional wouldn't agree.....
I'm not sure what free labor she does for someone, but the question comes down to this: Does the employee represent the company they work for on social media? My company policy is this: If you work for me, you will refer all company related questions to me. If someone on FB, ScubaBoard, CDF, wherever asks a question about policy, trips, costs, or whether I'm an butthole, I want to answer that question. Yes, I'm a butthole. If you ask an employee of mine "How much does it cost to go to Cuba?", the answer is "that depends". Then I can go further in to how much a trip to Cuba costs. If Jax has a problem with one of my employees, I'd like to hear about it, even though I am unlikely to do anything about it except maybe discuss it with the employee, however, we will have a united front and the same story to tell the complainer.

I'm not sure Jax was "trying to get James fired". Maybe she was, I didn't get the PM she shared with the owner of CCDS. I don't know James. I do know Jax. I find her to be a reasonable and easily excited person. She sometimes takes things too far, much like a SJW when she gets an idea in her head. She has very strong feelings about things. She is a reasonable diver, far better than she thinks she is, but has room to improve. She lives in Arizona, where she doesn't get the opportunity to dive every day like some of the rest of us do, so she fills her time that I might spend in the water on the internet wishing she were on the water. She is on a fixed income, so her diving time/money is highly regulated. I understand why she asked if the NSS/CDS weekend would be worth her time and money to attend, and she got crapped on for asking the question. Then it all went to hell. I understand why Curt answered the way he did, I sometimes get tired of listening to "internet divers" and "Quarry Divers" too, but I try hard not to crap on them, because Mom taught me that if I can't say anything nice.....

So, if you don't want to deal with "Internet divers" or "quarry divers", perhaps online forums aren't for you. If you come online for the exchange of ideas and experience that can be found here, you also have to put up with the parts you may find distasteful. The board wasn't set up for any of us individually, but for the community as a whole. Yes, I understand that some folks like to gather near like minded people, and if that's the case, go gather where Jax isn't. But sometimes, in my experience, she comes up through the cesspool with a nugget of gold that makes her being here all worthwhile.

So really, to answer her question, there are a number of presentations at the NSS-CDS weekend that might be of interest to a budding/novice cave diver. Whether it's worth the drive/cost is a decision you will have to make for yourself. It would personally not be of interest to me, you will not find me there.

So really, to answer her question, there are a number of presentations at the NSS-CDS weekend that might be of interest to a budding/novice cave diver. Whether it's worth the drive/cost is a decision you will have to make for yourself. It would personally not be of interest to me, you will not find me there.

Agree. Also, I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with talking about diving on the internet. I do it a lot! Friends who know me, know I utilize social media often to promote diving. Cave Country Dive Shop is also quite welcoming to all levels of diving. In fact, we have a free diving course planned a few weeks from now, currently a staff member is training an open water diver, Jon (my husband) is out teaching cavern today, and I will go out after work for a quick snorkel (yes I do use one on occasion). Just want it to be clear that no matter who you are, and how often or not, you talk about anything even remotely diving related (on the internet or otherwise)...you are all welcome at CCDS! :)

Agree. Also, I don't personally feel there is anything wrong with talking about diving on the internet. I do it a lot! Friends who know me, know I utilize social media often to promote diving. Cave Country Dive Shop is also quite welcoming to all levels of diving. In fact, we have a free diving course planned a few weeks from now, currently a staff member is training an open water diver, Jon (my husband) is out teaching cavern today, and I will go out after work for a quick snorkel (yes I do use one on occasion). Just want it to be clear that no matter who you are, and how often or not, you talk about anything even remotely diving related (on the internet or otherwise)...you are all welcome at CCDS! :)
Yes, being prolific on social media is the best cheapest advertising we can do. Personally, even though I am not a cave diver, nor have even the slightest desire to ever go in one, I can't drive past a dive shop. Next time I am in High Springs, you can expect my smiling face. Since I have friends in Maclenny, that won't be too long.

Yes, being prolific on social media is the best cheapest advertising we can do. Personally, even though I am not a cave diver, nor have even the slightest desire to ever go in one, I can't drive past a dive shop. Next time I am in High Springs, you can expect my smiling face. Since I have friends in Maclenny, that won't be too long.
I better see your smiling face next time you're in High Springs!!

I know. I used to run the original cave divers mailing list. In 1996 a then well known cave diving instructor showed up at my office because he was butt hurt by comments George Irvine made about him on the list.
If you remember from that list,someone else got their feelings hurt, and had a confrontation with Trey at DEMA, and asked to take it outside to resolve the issue.

I agree that an effort to resolve rumor mongering ended with an unfortunate display of bad behavior. Calling someone's employer in retaliation for getting dissed' in a post is as low as you can go IMHO. Get ye to church Jax.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom