The changing Scuba Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a big difference between being a troll (which I don't believe to be the case here) and for whatever reason making a trolling post designed to bring about heated responses by lots of people (which is what I suspect to be the case. I really can't say though).
:wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

this thread is in the basic scuba forum which has special rules to protect posters. The personal attacks and insults are unproductive and inappropriate. They will be removed. If we can’t get this stopped then the thread will be closed.

Basic Scuba Discussions
Have a Scuba related question? Get a Scuba related answer here. Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services.

I'm surprised at the number of people getting certified at "older" ages. I got certified at 47 back in October. I know a couple of other people who got certified last summer, early 50s guy and a woman in her early 60s. I was the oldest person in my OW class, but I saw several people who appeared older than I am who took Advanced specialties at our local quarry last fall.

Wookie, I was one of the apparently dying breed that bought all my own equipment (including a dry suit) in the midst of my OW class, but before my checkout dives. The others may have had their own wetsuit.
I am amazed too I recently had a student that was in her late 60's and a gentleman that was 71. I think that is so awesome.

I am amazed too I recently had a student that was in her late 60's and a gentleman that was 71. I think that is so awesome.

I met a diver in her 80's on the Garloo some time ago. She told me her only regret was that she did not learn to dive until she was in her 70's, and she dove all she could. All I could think was, "Wow!"

I met a diver in her 80's on the Garloo some time ago. She told me her only regret was that she did not learn to dive until she was in her 70's, and she dove all she could. All I could think was, "Wow!"
My main regret with regards to diving is all the missed dives I should have had in my 20's and 30's - here is hoping to many years of diving from my 40's onwards.

I began diving at age 49. I don't regret not learning earlier ... it just meant I had the time and resources to do all the other things I did when I was younger. Had I began diving earlier I probably wouldn't have done them.

As for the OP, I don't think she's trolling ... I think she just prefers being around people of her own age. No problem ... but she should probably book her own boats and fill them with people of her own choosing. Otherwise I might be on board ... I plan on being an active diver well into my 80's, assuming I stay healthy enough to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It seems I'm somehow not having notifications for this thread anymore...

Can't really blame people for not wanting to be the only younger person on a boat though (one of the reasons I often dive without a club/shop). Much like it is understandable that some women don't want to join because there's only guys in the club. Not saying that's always how it is, but when it is like that, I fully understand.

My main regret with regards to diving is all the missed dives I should have had in my 20's and 30's - here is hoping to many years of diving from my 40's onwards.
Same here. I started age 51, but only because I lived inland way up north until we moved to Nova Scotia. I wasn't going to be a "vacation" diver back then--not comfortable doing something that can kill you only once or twice a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom