The cost of PADI certification in your area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just went down to my local dive shop to look into the certification. $550.00!!!!
I have all my own equipment so I'm going to try and work out a deal with them. I figure much of the cost goes into rental of their equipment.

How much is it in your area?

Much of the cost of OW courses in our area are the cost of the pool time.

The OW course is already too cheap to begin with when you divy it all up.

Funny enough, because it's a lost leader, you're more apt to get a 'deal' if you buy all your equipment vs. telling them you have it already!

Financially speaking the OW course is kinda nasty from both sides of the cash register.

here in Greenville, SC my LDS is at 249.00 for open water certification - incl. all training materials, equipment, etc.
I'll be using them to get my OW certification shortly.
550.00 sounds a bit extreme based on my investigations.

Open Water courses here are generally £400 ($770) or so all inclusive.

A few reasons for this, firstly the dreaded £ = $ where PADI charge $15 for a PIC in america and £15 for a PIC in the uk, same for manuals etc.

Mainly though as dive training is classed as commercial diving every course has to have a minimum of 3 health and safety medical, insured divers (even if only 1 student) so 1 instructor, 1 other in-water rescuer and a trained rescue surface support person. So you're paying for 3 peoples wages.

Its no wonder most people choose to learn abroad for 1/3 the price.

It often depends on how many are in the class. Expect to pay a lot if you want private lessons. One LDS has a two for one rate if you sign up together. If you can get six or more together, they give even more off per person.

Here's a Florida sample of 3 PADI shops...

Jupiter, FL: Open Water: $349.00 - Includes: Training Materials, PADI Certificates, and Boat Trips.

Fort Myers, FL: Cost: $ 150.00 – Includes manual, dive tables, log book, and use of buoyancy compensator, tanks, and regulator. Checkout dives: The cost of the trip is $165 so total $315

Key Largo, FL: Open Water Certification Course, $475.00 Includes Dives, BC, Reg, & Wetsuit

Big range even in one state.

Cheers.

-J.-

And yes, if you have access to a pool, everyone can save on pool fees.

Cost me as follows:
$75 - Student Pack (book, video, weight belt, mouthpeice/straps, logs)
$200 - Classroom and pool (use of BC, tank, Reg, Oct, weights included)
$125 - Open Water Dives (use of BC, tank, Reg, Oct, 5mm 2pc wet suit, weights included)
$45 3mm shorty wetsuit for pool (optional but recommended)

needed your own mask, fins, snorkel, boots

My LDS price is $225 (plus taxes) Canadian includes instructional materials. Extra costs are for the minimum gear they require (fins, mask, snorkel, weight belt, lead) the cost of which depends on the individual, and $75 to rent equipment for the weekend open water dives. They also offer free use of the pools they rent to maintain/refresh skills to any diver who has taken a course with them.

Back
Top Bottom