The Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please rent this movie. I never knew Japan kills thousands of dolphins yearly. What can we do to stop this?

Please rent this movie. I never knew Japan kills thousands of dolphins yearly. What can we do to stop this?

A few years ago, at the height of Japanese commercial whaling, there was a boycott of Japanese goods as a way of tryng to bring pressure to stop the practice. It was a good campaign, but could have been better. Recall, the attention span of the American public is short and some people just don't get it. I recall driving in Santa Barbara and always seeing a car that had a vanity license that said "Whales" and sported bumperstickers that said I love whales and I brake for whales. Too bad these all appeared on the backside of a Honda Civic. For a boycott to be successful, people have to understand cause and effect. Don't know if a boycott would work anymore. Back then we got a lot of consumer electronics from Japan. Now it comes from China or other places.

I want to see this movie and then compare it to the indigenous take of marine mammals (bowhead whales, beluga whales, seals, walrus) that occurs by Alaska Native hunters. Native hunting is theorized to be a major contributing factor in the decline of the Cook Inlet beluga whale stock and it achieving endangered status. It will be interesting to see if the movie explains the reasons for the slaughter in Japan in terms that are familiar to those of us who are aware of the subsistence lifeways in our own country. Taking of these critters for subsistence is necessary but not a sight that should be recorded as it is pretty greusome. There is a reason that the walrus cams are turned off by wildlife managers during the harvest.

In addition to the killing of dolphins, another aspect of the cruel dolphin industry depicted in The Cove is the capture of dolphins for the show and dolphinarium trade. The Flipper shows and the swimming with dolphin businesses are fueling this.

Here is an article with some links

Be a Dolphin’s Friend | Sea Forever

There are dolphin in the cove as we speak. There is an ongoing campaign to
educate the Japanese on the toxic levels of mercury that is present in the
dolphins and I think that is the only hope.

There are dolphin in the cove as we speak. There is an ongoing campaign to
educate the Japanese on the toxic levels of mercury that is present in the
dolphins and I think that is the only hope

This saddens me. I had thought there might have been some traction from the release of the movie...

BTW, I bought the DVD.

All the best, James

This saddens me. I had thought there might have been some traction from the release of the movie...

BTW, I bought the DVD.

All the best, James

Where did you buy it? I'd like to get a copy as well.

Edit: Found it! Amazon has them in stock.

Yes, Amazon is where we purchased from - we were on the waiting list. They shipped the day it was released.

All the best, James

as a working professional hunter, it has taken a lot of effort to convince many in my circle of friends to see this "greenpeacy enviro fluff piece".

but they, as I told them they would be, were very surprised and inspired by the way this movie was put together. I can remember seeing photos of Japanese dolphin slaughters when I was much younger in magazines and it's been burned into my mind since then.

was a little miffed when they showed fat-ass whats his name from sea Shepard though, does dog their credibility some.

over all a fantastic film and beats home a very serious point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom