The Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was fortunate enough to meet Simon Hutchins a year ago and hear a little about the film. It screened at a film festival here last spring and received 2 standing ovations. I saw it in the theater and again, audience applause. I bought the DVD and have started having parties to show this film to friends. It is not only a great plea for help but both tastefully and beautifully made. I highly recommend this film- prepare to be inspired.

The Cove is still available for rent at Redbox locations. I watched the initial portion at a local dive club, then it was abruptly stopped at a really sad scene at the request of a member. I rented it this past Friday and literally sobbed my eyes out for those poor dolphins in Taichi. The absurd rationale for this DAILY, ongoing, yearly tragedy is absolutely senseless and selfish. I can't believe that in this day and age, such cruelty exists...

I signed the petition but I wish there was much more I could do. I hope this documentary continues to win many accolades so the word will keep spreading...

My heart mourns for each and every single dolphin that was brutally killed and continue to be killed. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the images of trapped dolphins being harpooned to death.

I went to my independent video store to find The Cove. The employee said they did not carry it but asked, "Is that the Dolphin movie?" I found it a Redbox. It is a great documentary. I consider myself fairly well read but was not aware of the "harvesting" in Japan. Very difficult to watch in some places. Certain photo shots will stay with me for a very long time.

I just saw this film last night. I had never really thought before about how dolphins and whales are acquired for aquariums. I volunteer at a zoo and we get our animals through breeding programs or other zoos. Does anyone know if there are aquariums that have dolphins not acquired from Japan, or that have been raised in captivity? I'm not sure that means they are better of course but I was wondering.

The Cove won the Oscars for the BEST DOCUMENTARY Feature! :bounce3::bounce:
Can watch the videos here. Oscar.com - Nominations - Nominees

Please DO NOT buy tickets to watch dolphins (& other marine mammals) in captivity... :pinkdolphin:

The Cove is an excellent documentary.

To my knowledge, most of the dolphins in captivity at accredited aquariums in the US come from captive breeding programs. I believe there are exceptions. Animals that had been injured and rehabilitated but could not be re-released.

There are dolphin in the cove as we speak. There is an ongoing campaign to
educate the Japanese on the toxic levels of mercury that is present in the
dolphins and I think that is the only hope.

Problem is that the dolphin meat is sold on the market as "whale meat" so I guess first you need to educate them that not only are they being poisened but it is "not what it says on the can"

I saw a clip of the "harvesting" once and have not been able to look at it again it is one of the most callous and inhumane slaughters I have ever seen, they actually drag live dolphins down the road by their tails and butcher them while children look on, the entire village should be torched and eradicated.

As an avid hunter/fisherman that eats what he kills, I expected the film to be all Greenpeace propaganda. I was wrong. If you believe and/or contribute to wildlife conservation efforts then this film is a must see, though it may be tough to get through. Recommend it highly!

Back
Top Bottom