The Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downloaded it from iTunes. I have it on my iPhone and can show clips if I'm having a discussion with someone. Pretty handy.

Downloaded it from iTunes. I have it on my iPhone and can show clips if I'm having a discussion with someone. Pretty handy.

I have to go back a few years to find the clip it is terribly graphic but it does not pull any punches and this has been going on for years and as far as I can see nothing is being done to stop it in Japan. Once I find it I will post the link.

Watched this last weekend ... very, very powerful and well-done documentary. Thought the parts about the uselessness and politics of the IWC (in terms of this issue) was pretty interesting.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/208747-dolphin-slaughter-japan.html

This was the discussion way back in 2007 before "the cove" was even filmed. It discussed a lot of topics on Japan. Also, the main point there is "it is their country, it is very difficult for foreigners to go in and start telling them what they can and cannot do."

Also IMHO, after seeing the attitude of the Japanese people regarding the dolphin slaughter( the fishermen couldn't see what they are doing wrong ) signing online petitions will not do anything much to stop this.

In addition to the killing of dolphins, another aspect of the cruel dolphin industry depicted in The Cove is the capture of dolphins for the show and dolphinarium trade. The Flipper shows and the swimming with dolphin businesses are fueling this.

Here is an article with some links

Be a Dolphin’s Friend | Sea Forever

Being new to diving and the in the ocean for the first time in my life this past feb while on vacation in Jamaica, I am embarased to say that I did swim with the dolphins :no:.
If I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it. I just saw the cove for the first time this past week and found it quite disturbing.
My days of seeing aquatic life and other anamals in captivity are over.

Being new to diving and the in the ocean for the first time in my life this past feb while on vacation in Jamaica, I am embarased to say that I did swim with the dolphins :no:.
If I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it. I just saw the cove for the first time this past week and found it quite disturbing.
My days of seeing aquatic life and other anamals in captivity are over.

Yes, my sentiments exactly "If I knew then what I know now, I never would have done it."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-life-ecosystems/208747-dolphin-slaughter-japan.html

This was the discussion way back in 2007 before "the cove" was even filmed. It discussed a lot of topics on Japan. Also, the main point there is "it is their country, it is very difficult for foreigners to go in and start telling them what they can and cannot do."

Also IMHO, after seeing the attitude of the Japanese people regarding the dolphin slaughter( the fishermen couldn't see what they are doing wrong ) signing online petitions will not do anything much to stop this.

F.Y.I. I was the one that created that thread...."Dolphin Slaughter in Japan". As usual: it got heated, nasty, and personal. I had to have the moderator close it.

But I will say this much. Ric O'Barry has screwed up in one of his attempts to release dolphins back in the wild. The dolphins wound up so emaciated because they couldn't feed themselves in the wild, and were hanging around fishing boats begging to be fed. The federal government had to step in and rescue the dolphins. Consequently they took Ric O'Barry to court and fined him for his actions. Here is the link:

Activists Fined $59,500 in Sugarloaf Dolphin Release

Lock Washer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom