"The Day I Cheated Death" - Scuba Instructor Reaction & Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The Day I Cheated Death (Scuba Dive Incident at Moose Mountain Quarry, Ontario)
Summary:
An uncertified diver posted this event back in June 2018, which occurred at Moose Mountain Quarry, Ontario. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on from the video alone, but the video description and comments by the OP since they are both illuminating and confusing at the same time. The OP is a certified diver now. I’m not sure if the panic was caused by N2/CO2 narcosis, over-breathing the reg, or? I’d be happy to hear some observations and opinions. Original video description and key comments by OP included below.

Summary:
An uncertified diver posted this event back in June 2018, which occurred at Moose Mountain Quarry, Ontario. It’s hard to tell exactly what’s going on from the video alone, but the video description and comments by the OP since they are both illuminating and confusing at the same time. The OP is a certified diver now. I’m not sure if the panic was caused by N2/CO2 narcosis, over-breathing the reg, or? I’d be happy to hear some observations and opinions. Original video description and key comments by OP included below.
When this was posted, the link was broken, hence my comment below "Useless link". But, with some searching, I was able to find the original video in question, and found it to have no useful information in it, hence my comment "useless content". The original is at (this may be a reporting?): The day i cheated death (scuba dive at moose mountain quarry). If I had seen the actual link to the OP's overwrite of the original video, I might have been even more critical.
Useless link and content.
Snarky, but partly because it it a typical posting from the OP: some old video of questionable value repurposed for some unclear reason. His comments on the video WAY miss the mark. There were 3 divers, not 2 (the video shows a red tank, a black, and a siver), for example. I don't know where his quotes came from; he chose to obscure the sources for everything except his input.
We need a new forum for these videos.
What should it be called? Click bait? Useless content?
This pretty much sums it up. It is the same value as the typical ad-ridden clickbait on your Facebook feed. Same hyperbole in the titling, same value in its existence.

How could that original posting have been of value? Apparently the OP knows the person in the video is now certified. What if that person were asked for some observations on the dive with the benefit of hindsight? What if the OP had said they'd looked at the video X times and their conclusion is ....? What the OP DID say was nothing in the video and the comments made sense. OK, I'll go with that. So why foist it off on everybody else?

The point is this: there is a lot of useless trash of no redeeming value on the internet; reposting the junk without adding value just makes it worse. And, to be helpful, one ought to cite sources rather than just quote them.

Not that I feel strongly about this..... :)

Summary:
I found this video interesting in that, as the OP notes, there's not really any sign of... anything. They seem perfectly fine and all of a sudden it's a cloud of bubbles and a buddy kicking vigorously. A lot of the DAN incident reports indicate that there was a precipitating medical event or mistake and that doesn't seem to have occurred. Except, of course, diving beyond your training, but if you're not trained, you wouldn't know that, would you? I'm amazed that anyone is able to dive uncertified. I understand it's not a legal requirement, but rather a contractual one, but still. I get asked for my card about half the time for fills, and every time for a dive tour/boat or to rent equipment. Seems like it would just be less hassle to spend a few hundred bucks on certification.

I'm curious why the buddy came up, though. If you're doing an emergency ascent I'm going to watch very, very carefully but there's no way in hell I'm going up with you.

I'm amazed that anyone is able to dive uncertified. I understand it's not a legal requirement, but rather a contractual one, but still.

Uncertified does not necessarily untrained. When I started, a book and/or a mentor was not unusual, not so much now.

I get asked for my card about half the time for fills, and every time for a dive tour/boat or to rent equipment. Seems like it would just be less hassle to spend a few hundred bucks on certification.

Which is why I eventually got a c-card. I had no problem getting fills in the local area, but travel got to be more of a problem. An operator may take a good story, but insurance companies don't.

I'm curious why the buddy came up, though. If you're doing an emergency ascent I'm going to watch very, very carefully but there's no way in hell I'm going up with you.

I would come up with, or below (read slower), than a panicked diver to insure they stayed on the surface, once there. I don't know the buddies reasoning or if it was just shared panic.

Uncertified does not necessarily untrained. When I started, a book and/or a mentor was not unusual, not so much now.

Which is why I eventually got a c-card. I had no problem getting fills in the local area, but travel got to be more of a problem. An operator may take a good story, but insurance companies don't.

I would come up with, or below (read slower), than a panicked diver to insure they stayed on the surface, once there. I don't know the buddies reasoning or if it was just shared panic.
Yes, true, I am assuming they started diving in the modern era where instruction is, if not universal, certainly by far the most common entry point.

And yes again on the ascent. I meant what you are suggesting, track the ascending buddy if visibility allows, and start an immediate controlled ascent to meet them. My words on the page certainly suggested I would just stay down there and gaze upward as they ascended, though!

Meh.. jagfish seems to be a guy who makes a lot of what is called "reaction videos" on youtube. It's common enough. Doesn't really float my boat, but still very common. To each his own, i guess.

Honestly, his posts often generate some discussion. Clearly the folks engaging in the discussion on SB thought it was okay.

I must admit, when I saw the first of his videos I thought he had been recounting an incident he was actually personally involved in. Learning that it was just a reaction video really devalued it for me.

He's got like 2,000 subscribers on youtube so SOMEONE is watching his videos and liked them enough to subscribe.

Back
Top Bottom