The Dive by Pipin Ferreras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Picture2-4.jpg

The Dive "A story of love and obsession" by Pipin Ferreras with Linda Robertson.
2004. Harper Collins Publishing, New York. ISBN 0-06-056416-4.
This copy: PB 277 pg's with photos.

This book is a first person account of Cuban Pipin Ferreras life as a freediver and his relationship with Audrey Mestre who tragically died during a freedive in 2002. I found it easy to read, engaging and interesting for its insight into the world of no limits diving and as a sadly moving story of Pipins and Audreys life together.

I found it terrible. Littered with typos and grammatical errors. Not to mention the stories of dives to 90m on air, safety divers breathing the same on the Ferreras's free dives. As for the "facts" he presents about diving, the book is laughable. I don't think he had a proofreader or editor on it? Apparently trimix is used because normal air below 50m is thicker and harder to breathe. And having less nitrogen in the mix means that you are less susceptible to getting narked on the ay up, which is a symptom of the bends? Oh dear, Mr Ferreras.

He was a vain, arrogant and jealous man who cheated on the woman he loved (after leaving two other women with his offspring). And, jealous of her 171m dive record...he equalled it as a "tribute" to her. didn't want to be second best, more like. Loser.

I was too embarrassed to even give this book away to diving friends. It went to a charity shop in London. I hope whoever picks it up has no idea about diving. Or even what the ocean is...even better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom