"The" Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Im a lurker but not a troll. I never had reason to post until last week but I want to know
what is going on with "The" Dive Shop in Fairfax lately? The staff gets more and more rude everytime I go in there. They never have anything in stock and it takes forever to order something. It used to be such a great shop I am wondering if anyone has an idea what is going on. I am thinking that I should switch shops.

Wow - no idea what is going on there. Haven't been there since last October when I was still diving Millbrook, and they were one of my favorite shops. Maybe they are pissed because the state of Virginia nuked the Zebra mussels at their quarry...

-Nick

Edit: Splash Dive Center in Alexandria is an OUTSTANDING shop, and they aren't much farther from Millbrook.

I didn't have a problem when I bought my apeks regs there last april. I had discussions with a bunch of the staff members the couple of times I visited and was treated very well. One of my friends that dives works there and loves it. I really like Splash as well. I think they are a great shop and would reccommend them over The Dive Shop if it is not too far a drive for you. Their staff is very well trained and their inventory is kept extremely well. That all being said I live right outside of DC and am going to begin working at the National Dive Center in DC because it is closer. While I like the guys who run the shop in DC it is not as big or well stocked as the other two. In terms of renting equipment or taking classes they are pefect but might not be the place to go if you are looking for equipment.

Ditto on recommending Splash Dive Center. They're consistently great to work with. Another good shop is VA Scuba, located out in Manassas (not 15 minutes from Millbrook). I tend to use these two shops exclusively.

While I may be misinformed, it's my understanding that TDS/Fairfax was sold or changed hands sometime during 2005. This may or may not be impacting the level of service you perceive yourself receiving there...

YMMV.

While new to diving, I appreciated the manner in which I was treated by the staff at Splash. I would also recommend Aquatic Adventures.

For me the tie breaker between Splash and Aquatic Adventures was that I'm closer to Aquatic Adventures. Marty's prices match anything I've seen on the internet and the service has been exceptional.

Although I'm definately not a tech diver, my sense is that a tech diver would likely find Splash to offer more in that regard, however. For mere mortals such, as myself, Aquatic Adventures meets and exceeds everything I need from an LDS right now.

For what it's worth.

Jan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom