The dolphin slaughter in Japan has begun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, unless people are willing to get more "defiant" and risk arrest, injury, or fatalities on both sides of the issue...that's the only way you are going to bring awareness. In the long run...its the Japanese people that have to make this decision about the dolphin killing.

What I do not understand is.
What is the problem in these killings? it is not like Pilot whales or Dolphins are endangered !
Is it the "graphic brutality" of the killings ?
And why have whales become this godlike state ?

What is the problem in these killings? it is not like Pilot whales or Dolphins are endangered !

I will admit, its a pretty brutal way to kill an animal, and that's what really upsets people. As for whales becoming "Godlike"...here's an example": after the Disney Movie "Bambi" came out along time ago, you have a hard time to cull out deer populations now...because of the fact, that deer are considered cute, and loveable. After seeing the TV Series "Flipper", and visits to Sea World, and Marineland to see dolphins on display...people feel the same way.

My concern is that the levels of mercury in dolphin blubber is not safe to consume. Yet they are still feeding it to the Japanese population.

I see from your profile that you are from the Faroe Islands...aren't you concerned about the mercury levels in pilot whale meat too?

Lock Washer

From what I can gauge from reading about the killings and watching documentaries is HOW they kill them which is brutal. The mother dolphins are often stabbed to death while their calves are caught in the nets just watching the blood shed. It's been scientifically proven that dolphins are extremely intelligent so I'm sure the fact that the calves watch their mothers bleed to death is pretty horrific. Many times the dolphins will drown as well... I think it's more HOW they corral them and kill them that makes it so painful to watch and unacceptable to most people. There also must be something innately wrong with killing creatures that are so intelligent.... but that's just me :wink:

Ok I just saw the movie The Cove.
And I got to say that was a very unnecessary brutal way too kill a whale.
About the mercury levels Yes we are fully aware of the mercury and our government is spending alot of money and effort in examining the effects and informing the people of this for example are people adviced not to eat whale meat more than once a month (nobody eats that much whale) Maybe people think of the minamata disease which I noticed was mentioned in the Cove. But the Minamata disease involves extreme amounts of mercury.We have a very healthy population. Healthier than most other developed countries.
However I will agree that is a F*¤#" up way too kill a whale When an animal "gives it life " the least you can do is too respect it!
One thing that I noticed was missing in The Cove were statistics never was it mentioned how much dolphin is awailable but only an estimate on how large the number killed. Which makes it a progaganda documentary.

More than 50 bottlenose and 7 Rissos dolphins were brutally slaughtered yesterday in Taiji, Japan.
Many of the bottlenose were juveniles or younger. The Sea Shepherd crew on the ground there have a meeting planned with the mayor of Taiji on Friday, Ric O Barry is expected to attend as well.
If you are reading this and you care, please make a phone call to your nearest Japanese Consulate. We need to continue the pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom