The DoubleDip Scallop Tutorial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fpoole:
it's just a tough photo to work... and Bob willingness to post his rendition was kewl... as I'm sure you thought too..
Yes. That was a lot of work to put together the tutorial.

Question for Bob: where did the scallop eyes go... what eliminated them?

First, another thanks to Dee for creating the subforum. I hope more of our members will share their ideas and then we all learn. In fact, writing a tutorial is a learning experience.

I guess there are no ground rules for the Digital Darkroom forum, but if we get around to creating DD etiquette, one of the rules has to be honest critique. You can do this without offending, and I think Uncle Pug’s critique of my result was perfectly appropriate. Maybe it should have been located in the original DoubleDip thread rather than the tutorial thread, but it is still welcome.

One the beauties about Photoshop is that there are so many ways of applying it and so many differing results that can be produced. If anyone thinks they have an easier, better or even different method of producing a result, I hope they will share it with us.

Fpoole: Thanks for pointing out that the purpose of the tutorial was to illustrate how to produce a particular result.

Uncle Pug: I dive South Florida and we have flame scallops. I have no real point of reference for DoubleDip’s picture other than his comment about the green top. I made adjustments that I found pleasing to my eye which may not reflect what these things really look like, or what others will find attractive in a photo. For example, the Hue/Saturation adjustment to the top of the scallop can produce a wide range of color, so there is a lot of room for personal adjustments using this technique. Similarly, the adjustment of the rest of the photo using individual color channels in Levels can produce a wide range of results.

I also have a bias which I should disclose. I like saturated images and have no qualms shifting color to make the image more attractive (at least to my tastes that others may not share). I know there are purists who feel that any image adjustment in Photoshop should only be made if it produces a more “real to life” image.

When you first start working with Photoshop there is a tendency to “over adjust” images. More experienced photoshoppers (including yours truly) are not immune. The name I like for this is “over cooking” an image. Anyone should be free to express their opinion that the picture was on the stove too long.

Finally, I recently told Yoda I may need a trip to the optometrist. Where are the eyes? I did some cloning and may have blinded the poor guy.

Best Always

—Bob

Bob, I certainly don't want to further side track your tutorial (though perhaps this will serve to bump it the head of the new post queue :D) but here is a picture of scallop eyes. The picture is of a Rock Scallop while double dip's picture is of a Pectin Scallop... but the eyes are similar. They are the little bright spots of light. Again... thanks for the tutorial. Hopefully I will get a chance to play with Photoshop someday.
Scallop_Eyes.JPG

Whoa, nice shot...
So help out someone who knows 'Nothing' about sea life.. the little white dots in the red/orange lips? are the eyes??? Kewl, never knew they were there... I have one of a pic of a pectin, perhaps pictured (LOL) with perfect eyes too...??? I'll take a look see... never really notice eyes before... How Kewl is that eh???

Hehheh.. thanx Pug, always something eh??? Now I gotta start looking for eyes in scallops... heheh.. geesh.. great shot though....

Yes, those are the eyes... and in the original photo of the pectin scallop you can see them too.

I notice that they are gone in the cropped picture and wonder what action made them disappear.

Don:

Welcome to the board! Thank you for the comment. I am working on some projects and hope to post in the next few weeks.

Don, Alcina:

Our moderator, Dee, wants to keep tutorial threads specific to the subject. This one went astray as you can see. The suggestion is to post general impressions and comments in the main UW forum where they are easier to find and draw attention to this subforum. The tutorials forum can then be kept clean. "How to do it" comments can be posted in the thread to which they relate in the tutorials sub. Spread the word.

---Bob
Happy Easter to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom