The End of Tobermory?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Quaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As of 1st May this year the local authorities have installed solar powered parking meters.....everywhere! The same 2 hour limits apply, but now the community parking is also a 2 hour limit, almost nowhere for all day parking and the cost... $3.00 per hour ... valid 1st May till 15th September. Locals can apply for a free pass but cottagers ( non-residents / not resident year round) must buy a $100 parking pass to avoid being nickelled and dimed to death every time you park in the village. $12.00 parking fee for a morning charter! There are also more restrictions on where you can actually park than there was last year...H/way #6t through the village is a no parking zone, even on the shoulder; along one side of Big tub Road too....Yes there is a meter at Lighthouse Point too so shore diving there and the tugs costs to park also... I wonder if the way to solve the crowded village problem is to annoy all visitors with parking fees so they won't come back. The meters at present don't accept any fees before 9:00 a.m. so divers off on early morning charters can't even pay to get a parking spot...only to find for non payment ticket when they get back to their cars. The information desk at the community parking lot has been inundated with complaints and now is handing out cards with the names addresses and emails for how to complain, or fight a ticket if you think you were wrongly charged.... No one seems happy.

You've obviously never lived in Chicago.

Whats the matter with these petty small town officials!?!?

Do they not remember that the dive tourism is what made that town thrive after commercial fishing died off. Now they've obviously made it next to impossible for divers to use the town.

I wonder where the two biggest stores are in all this? (Diver's Den & G&S) Are they speaking up? Its their businesses that will suffer.

Write to members of Town Council and voice your opinion.

Mayor Milt McIver - (519) 592-3076
mayor.nbp@eastlink.ca

Deputy Mayor Patricia Greig - (519) 793-4961
deputymayor.nbp@eastlink.ca

Councillor Tom Boyle - (519) 793-3654
tom.nbp@eastlink.ca

Councillor Rob Rouse - (519) 596-2690
robrouse.nbp@eastlink.ca

Councillor Griffin Salen - (519) 270-3186
gsalen.nbp@eastlink.ca

Contact for Catherine McKenna MP responsable for Parks Canada and complain that your access to Fathom Five has been severely restricted:
ec.ministre-minister.ec@canada.ca

Umm, just a thought, if these petty officials are scrounging for your pocket change, next they could demand diver have to buy a "Diving License" to dive protected shipwrecks. If they haven't thought of that already.

next they could demand diver have to buy a "Diving License" to dive protected shipwrecks

Um..... you already need a pass (day or season) for diving within Fathom 5 Marine Park (that is where the wrecks are).......

Um..... you already need a pass (day or season) for diving within Fathom 5 Marine Park (that is where the wrecks are).......
Just a guess, but it's already come to pass. I'll try to work on predicting things BEFORE they happen.

Mention that a dive buddy of mine just convinced me to go to Tobermory this summer and now I'll pass. I wanted to do a trip there since reading about the diving there in Diver magazine in the early 80's. Sounds like a hassle. I'll go somewhere else I've always wanted to go instead. When I get turned on to a place, I usually keep going back and bring others. Guess Tobermory and I aren't meant to meet anytime soon.

This really has me re-thinking our trip..... Even Clayton and Alexandria Bay (St. Lawrence River) seem more accommodating....

I cannot believe that the dive shops/charters aren't screaming bloody murder...

I get the revenue need, and the cash grab idea, but at least have a system in place that works....

Back
Top Bottom