The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red letters

that means business

Women's forum only has black letters

I guess that means we like men and want to hear what they have to say,

occasionally....

red must mean "under no circumstances"

The "no trolling" will always be a problem, because what is a normal question for some people is trolling for someone else. I think trolling is when you disrupt an ongoing conversation, not when you post a new question that people could just choose to ignore and post in another thread they "like" better.

a free exchange of ideas concerning the DIR philosophy
...just don't ask a question that could be interpreted at unflattering. Seriously? free exchange I am dying to know who's wording that is.
You don't put big red warning letters to inform people that a free exchange is taking place. Nobody thinks that is peculiar? Free exchange would be one diver asking another why people are cutting their Halcyon labels off their gear, ..or something like that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting those conversations if the self defined DIR community finds that counterproductive. But then at least have the language to define what you want your scope to be and state it.
But to warn people that it is an area of "free exchange" is a little odd.

why am I hijacking based on the coversation that was transpiring? I think based on the context, I was on topic.
I was saying "maybe the words are not communicating what you mean"

Don't you think if certain people do not want a given type of post then they should perhaps consider not putting "free exchange" in the message?

I'm saying the message is not a clear one. I am seriously trying to be helpful.

If you want a certain target audience, I think they could better define it, other than the way it is now. Because the reason the problem is "ongoing" and they are frustrated is that they have not been able to define what is okay and what is not, in a clear way.

Trolling would be asking why we don't petition JJ to make GUE standards more inline with cyber diving.

So..is trolling in DIR forum anything that is controversial?

Would dealership politics be?

... those types of questions?

Jason B:
You read way too much into everything.
So far I haven't been able to read anything at all into it, since I've never seen the banner.

It doesn't seem to show up when using the classic view.

Note to self: don't complain. the easiest solution might be to wipe out the nice clean classic skin and I'd have to use of the more cluttered one ........

I think I understand and agree with what Catherine is saying.

Instead of:
This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning the DIR philosophy.

How about something along these lines:
This forum is for discussion regarding the DIR philophosopy and techniques strictly from the DIR point of view. This is NOT the forum to debate why DIR methods vs non-DIR methods, but rather to gain understanding about what the DIR perspectives are.

It's often difficult to determine whether something is a troll or not. For example, a very new diver posted a bunch of questions about DIR in this forum a few days ago. The immediate responses were tongue-in-cheek, assuming he was trolling, but I don't think he was. I based that on going and looking at other posts he had made, which pointed out he was new to diving and new to diving BBs. But I have seen similar questions posed in an ingenuous fashion by people trying to cause trouble.

The precise wording of the warning at the top of the page may not be ideal, but I think the purpose was simply to remind people where they were, and what the special rules of this particular forum are. I agree that having it at the top of the reply box would be more effective, but that may not be possible in the programming.

nothing DIR,

but why is it that we seem to want to 'shield' certain forums against trolls? What is it that prevents people to act mature and maybe ignore these? Is it the internet, is it the anonymity, or the lack of personal interaction where one can read other components of body language.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is childish to get all worked up over a few sentences on a forum that talks about friking diving to the extend that we need moderators, red text, banning members all kinds of rules.. C'mon people. This is not warmongering, politics or denial of the haulocast.

Meng_Tze:
but why is it that we seem to want to 'shield' certain forums against trolls? What is it that prevents people to act mature and maybe ignore these?

i starting BBS'ing back around 1985, started using Usenet in 1989 and i've never, ever seen the suggestion of "just ignore the trolls and they'll go away" actually work. when you have a couple hundred people read a troll, someone *always* has had a bad day or just exersizes bad judgment and feeds it...

the only cure to trolling is moderation.

and believe me, for the first 10-15 years, i objected to moderation on the grounds of free speech, just don't feed the trolls, etc, etc, etc. BTDT. it simply doesn't work.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom