The future of this forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
i starting BBS'ing back around 1985, started using Usenet in 1989 and i've never, ever seen the suggestion of "just ignore the trolls and they'll go away" actually work. when you have a couple hundred people read a troll, someone *always* has had a bad day or just exersizes bad judgment and feeds it...

the only cure to trolling is moderation.

and believe me, for the first 10-15 years, i objected to moderation on the grounds of free speech, just don't feed the trolls, etc, etc, etc. BTDT. it simply doesn't work.

...as evidenced by places like rec.scuba newsgroups...

lamont:
the only cure to trolling is moderation.

and believe me, for the first 10-15 years, i objected to moderation on the grounds of free speech, just don't feed the trolls, etc, etc, etc. BTDT. it simply doesn't work.
I don't object to moderation, whether on grounds of free speech or not. I think we take things too seriously and get offended (worked up if I may use that word) about trivial things.

TSandM:
It's often difficult to determine whether something is a troll or not. For example, a very new diver posted a bunch of questions about DIR in this forum a few days ago. The immediate responses were tongue-in-cheek, assuming he was trolling, but I don't think he was. I based that on going and looking at other posts he had made, which pointed out he was new to diving and new to diving BBs. But I have seen similar questions posed in an ingenuous fashion by people trying to cause trouble.
That's why you and the other volunteer moderators make the big bucks. :crafty:

Call them the way you see them. Close this thread, and get on with life.

Meng_Tze:
I don't object to moderation, whether on grounds of free speech or not. I think we take things too seriously and get offended (worked up if I may use that word) about trivial things.

in a perfect world we wouldn't do that. in the real world, someone gets off a hard stressful day at work dealing with ******* managers, reads a troll and goes ballistic.

this is called displacement, and everyone does it to one extent or another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_(psychology)

trolls feed off of displaced frustration. if you could make all the frustration in our whole society go away, trolls would have nothing to feed off of.

good luck.

lamont:
in a perfect world we wouldn't do that. in the real world, someone gets off a hard stressful day at work dealing with ******* managers, reads a troll and goes ballistic.

this is called displacement, and everyone does it to one extent or another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_(psychology)

trolls feed off of displaced frustration. if you could make all the frustration in our whole society go away, trolls would have nothing to feed off of.

good luck.
Maybe just plain old frustration with ones (work)life.......

Good luck?? Not sure why. But okay, thanks.

It's when loud voice trucks without any GUE certs other than maybe DIR-f start spewing nonsense that this forum actually does more harm than good. :shakehead:

Jeff
Tech1/Cave1

Soggy:
Isn't it possible that someone with only DIRF training actually has a good understanding of the system if they were trained by an instructor knowledgeable in DIR practices?
not according to some......according to some, you have to have cave 1-2-3 and tech 1-2-3 in order to 'understand'.:shakehead:

jeffkruse2000:
It's when loud voice trucks without any GUE certs other than maybe DIR-f start spewing nonsense that this forum actually does more harm than good. :shakehead:

Jeff
Tech1/Cave1
I dunno ... some DIR-F grads actually know what they're talking about. I don't believe there's necessarily a correlation between thinking and training ... people post for different reasons, and those who make an honest attempt to contribute will always be valued.

On the other hand, there are a few folks who just shouldn't have access to a keyboard, whatever their certs. For a number of reasons, they just aren't willing to communicate on the Internet without insulting people. Those are the folks who give DIR ... and anything else they promote ... a bad image ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Meng_Tze:
not according to some......according to some, you have to have cave 1-2-3 and tech 1-2-3 in order to 'understand'.:shakehead:
Well, George did say that a certain former GUE Instructor does no real diving and didn't know shiite...lol.

So if that's true, then possibly nothing is going to be enough for some end-of-the-line type guys... :kicknut:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom