The Great Barrier Reef by James Woodford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On a recnt trip to Australia on my way to dive the Great Barrier Reef, I came across James Woodford's new book, The Great Barrier Reef: In Search of the Real Reef, while browsing through a bookstore at Sydney airport. The author tells the story of his experience on the Great Barrier Reef as a scientific diver helping out on various research projects, even though he is a journalist and not a trained scientist.

I was intrqued by the book for a couple of different reasons. Obviously, this was the most recent popular press book I had found on a place that I was go to in order to dive. I had read a Reef in Time a few years ago because of a promise that I made myself to dive the GBR someday. Now I was on my way to do just that and had found a book on the subject. Second, I was trained as a scientific research diver in California and had worked as a paid and volunteer research diver inspite of the fact that I am not credentialed in the natural sciences. So I could identify with some of the experiences that the author went through. Third, on close examination the author put into context many of the controversies and problems facing the reef today, climate change, coral bleaching, species abundance, and the management regime. Fourth, he tells the story of the the behind the scenes operation of scientific research station and the impressive number of dedicated scientists, most working in anonymity, in order to conduct research on the reef. I have faced similar circumstances and conditions in my work as a scientific research diver. Finally, he puts into words the symbolism of the reef to Australians as well as others.

I enjoyed reading this book, especially as I was about to go to many of the places the book describes.

Not quite sure how to order it; it is not available on amazon.com except as a kindle edition or barnesandnoble.com websites.

Also available online at Fishpond.com.au: The Great Barrier Reef, James Woodford - Shop Online for Books in Australia - Fishpond.com.au and Booktopia: Booktopia - The Great Barrier Reef, James Woodford, 9781405039963 (post internationally). If you have an iPad, etc, you can also read it online as an ebook for $14.99:

'The Great Barrier Reef (Revised Edition)' by James Woodford

I also saw there is a BBC/Discovery channel series on the GBR, due for release next year, keep an eye out:

BBC - Press Office - BBC Worldwide secures Australian and US co producers for landmark natural history series

Cheers.

thanks for the tip. GBR is quite fascinating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom