The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just occurred to me that there are at least three ways to buy something like a Scubapro or Aqualung reg:

1) Pay top dollar at an Authorized Dealer (which it seems implicitly equals an LDS) and get the full manufacturer's warranty, free parts for life, whatever;

3) Go on eBay, find a used reg cheap, pay for servicing, no warranty;

or, the middle ground:

2) Purchase at LP (or DiveInn, or any of the other online/mail channels that carry SP or AL), where you're paying slightly over used prices for a brand new reg, and you always can just opt for LP's own warranty if you want to, which isn't an option when buying used.

Is paying for parts once a year really such a bad thing? I bought both of my Dacor regs used, so never had a mfr's warranty, serviced regularly, I'm none the worse. Think of LP gear in other words as "used-plus"--if you'd otherwise be buying used reg, go with LP and you'll have the same service/warranty situation except that you'll have a BRAND NEW reg...and possibly for less than if you bought used, had your LDS's tech check it out, etc.

If I buy SP or AL, I'm buying more for the superior quality of the product than the warranty anyway. I shouldn't even have to use the warranty, ne? Either way, they've made their profit.

Not trying to *defend* LP, of course, anymore than I'd attack them, just food for thought.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom