The Hogarthian Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
The Hogarthian Way by Win Remley

DeepTech Magazine, January 1996

Imagine for a moment that you own no dive gear whatsoever. Nor do you have any preconceived concept of how scuba gear should be arranged. Also imagine that you have access to any type of gear you wish, and that you must configure it in the absolute most efficient means possible, while simultaneously maximizing your safety. After thinking about this for a minute, if you are able to see how you might do things differently, then you have started down the path towards the Hogarthian Way.

Hogarthian gear configuration began, not suprisingly, with Sheck Exley, whose style of breathing from the long hose was adopted by Bill Hogarth Main, who dived with Exley. Breathing from the long hose, according to Main, is safer and more efficient in an emergency, since an out-of-air diver will invariably rip the regulator out of your mouth rather than spend a lot of time searching for your octopus.

To make a long story short, Bill Main is a perfectionist. He began applying the "safer and more efficient" philosophy to every component of dive gear. He reduced the amount of gear taken underwater, he removed unnecessary D-rings and clips, and he rearranged his gear to promote efficiency and safety to the extreme. He examined every assumption and convention for soundness, and if they were found lacking he changed it. He developed his philosophy to be dynamic. The proper configuration for a warm water cave dive, for example, is different than that used for a cold water wreck dive in the ocean.

Bill Main's friendship with Bill Gavin lead to the development to the second component of the Hogarthian Way - the holistic component. It was Bill Gavin's philosophy that the most important piece of dive gear owned by a diver is his body. A healthy, well functioning body, Gavin argued, is both more efficient and safer while diving. Gavin even included the diver's attitude and state of mind as a component of the Hogarthian Way. A rigorous program of exercise, eating healthy foods, and abstaining from alcohol, tobacco and drugs are part of this philosophy.

George Irvine, director of the Woodville Karst Plain Project (WKPP), took this emergent philosophy and ran with it. He added the third and final component of the Hogarthian Way by arguing that the best dive equipment available should be used while diving. George started from scratch and purchased state-of-the-art equipment for every component of technical dive gear he required. He bought the best regulators, the best cylinders, the best drysuit, etc., that he could find. And if a suitable component could not be located, he and Bill Gavin, who happens to be an engineer, designed it from scratch. The scooters used by the WKPP are one example of this. These scooters, custom built by Gavin and Irvine, are routinely used at depths of 300-400 ft. with a run time of more than two hours.

Describing all the specific methods and techniques adopted by Bill Main, Bill Gavin, and George Irvine are beyond the scopeof a magazine article. However, below are listed some of the specifics. Refer to the illustration for these descriptions.

Harness - A simple webbed harness should be custom fitted and adjusted so that the diver can easily reach all the manifold knobs while wearing the harness in the water.

Hoses - All hoses, high pressure and low pressure, are custom cut to the proper length. The "one length fits all" philosophy of the manufacturers is rejected.

Long Hose vs. Short Hose: Breathing from the long hose is safer and more efficient as described earlier. The second stage on the short hose is hung around the neck with surgical tubing so the diver can simply dip his chin and bite the mouthpiece.

D-Rings - The correct number of D-rings is one per stage bottle. Stages are clipped at one end only so the other end can float behind the diver as he swims or scooters, thereby minimizing drag. The D-rings are slightly bent to prevent them from laying flat against the harness, which makes them easier to grab.

Manifold - A doubles manifold is used rather than single independents due to the complexity of air sharing rules with independents. Single independents are seen as a prevention for a non-problem, a manifold failure, and only serve to complicate things.

Accessories - Everything should be firmly attached to the body or placed in pockets. Cages, consoles, and dangling nonsense of any kind is strictly avoided.

Lights - The primary light battery slips onto the waist strap on the right side of the body. This streamlines the battery and makes D-rings and clips unnecessary. Backup lights should be streamlined by attaching to the harness with surgical tubing and a clip.

Low pressure inflator - The low pressure inflator hose comes over the left shoulder and is attached to the harness. Dangling wing inflators or inflators hooked around the left arm are not acceptable since they increase drag and are potential entanglement hazards.

Pressure gauge - The high pressure hose should come straight from the first stage, over the top of the wings, around the left side of the diver, under the arm, and attached to the harness via a clip and surgical tubing. Note that this is a pressure gauge only, gauge consoles and rubber boots are unnecessary and increase drag.

Personal preference - Strict Hogarthians believe that there is only one best way. "Personal preference" is a euphemism for "I don't want to do it right."

Hogarthian philosophy attempts to prevent emergencies that can really happen rather than prepare for every possible emergency. This comes from the belief that most accidents don't happen as a result of equipment failure, but rather from the diver failing to adequately prepare. This can happen by divers not properly cleaning and servicing their equipment, or by overweighting themselves with too much equipment, or by configurating their equipment in a manner that is confusing, etc.

To use an analogy: Volvo advertisements claim that if you are going to have an accident you are better off having one in a Volvo because they are heavier, stronger and built to survive and accident. BMW, on the other hand, claims that the best way to survive an accident is to not have one. They instead place emphasis on performance features like braking, cornering, and acceleration. BMW, albeit unknowingly, embraces the Hogarthian Way.

Following the path towards the Hogarthian Way may seem like a tall order to most divers. In truth, there are few purists. However, adopting principles like removing unnecessary dive gear, or saying no to that piece of cheesecake, or getting daily exercise are simple and cost free ways to begin the journey.

While i agree with many points, and dive in many ways very similarly if not identically to those points, i think the article has a DIR twist to it, taking purely Hogarthian ideas and putting other restrictions in from other authors - modified Hog you might say. However i did laugh at
The "one length fits all" philosophy of the manufacturers is rejected.
as this flies in the face of one size fits all philosophy of DIR :wink:

BTW, are they suggesting that all DIR guys should drive a BMW? The cyber DIR dive zealots are very much like beemer drivers, far too large ego.

No mention in that article of the key tennets that i hear so much about the Hogarthian way "if you need it on a dive, take two".

CRDiver:
The Hogarthian Way by Win Remley

To use an analogy: Volvo advertisements claim that if you are going to have an accident you are better off having one in a Volvo because they are heavier, stronger and built to survive and accident. BMW, on the other hand, claims that the best way to survive an accident is to not have one. They instead place emphasis on performance features like braking, cornering, and acceleration. BMW, albeit unknowingly, embraces the Hogarthian Way.

I don't think this applies at all.

First off, if you dive stuff will happen.
Hogarthian does not prevent the accidents or incidents, it makes you prepared to handle them with efficiency and safety.

The BMW does not have redundant life support systems, nor does it have redundant power. The headlights are not redundant.

Volvos are not heavy tanks built to survive crashes at the cost of drivability. They are nice cars built to keep you alive when something bad does happen.

Bad things happen.
You can be prepared to handle them even as you work to the limits of your ability to prevent them.

It is not an either/or choice.

simbrooks:
While i agree with many points, and dive in many ways very similarly if not identically to those points, i think the article has a DIR twist to it, taking purely Hogarthian ideas and putting other restrictions in from other authors - modified Hog you might say. However i did laugh at as this flies in the face of one size fits all philosophy of DIR :wink:

FWIW -- Wynn Remley is dead. He died in a boating accident. He was a good guy. The article was written in 1996 and it was way before the "DIR" soapbox was big and loud. It has many good points --

You may also want to read -- Blue Print for Survival 3.0 an article that was written by Michael Menduno (aquacorps) Billy Deans, (the man who put open ocean tech diving in the map) and my self (then publisher of Sub Aqua another wreck/tech magazine)

You will see in this article many concepts that are "doing it right" long before doing it right was an accronym.

Here is a link to it on my old website --- http://www.nitroxdiver.com/Library/article2.html

Regards,

Pipedope wrote:

"Bad things happen.
You can be prepared to handle them even as you work to the limits of your ability to prevent them.

It is not an either/or choice."

Pipedope, that has to be one of the wisest statements I've ever read on this board.

CR:

Thanks for the information on the Hogarthian method… it’s probably the best I’ve read. IMO, the key is to be able to adapt to different environments, while the fundamentals remain the same… i.e. being streamline, using the best & properly maintained equipment, properly placed gear, proper training, being prepared, etc. All this things translate into one thing – being a good diver!

I’m no “techie” and I’m not always up on the latest innovations and techniques, but one thing I’ll never forget from my courses taken with Tom Mount many years ago and the one thing I’ve always felt is the most overlooked aspect of being a good diver… that is “awareness”. IMO, the most important thing is to be aware of everything going on around you including gas supply, gear performance, physically and mental conditions, changes in the environment (currents, overhead conditions, etc.), anchor locations, bottle locations, etc. A good diver is not only aware of his conditions and environment, but that of everyone around him. Anyways… just my 2 cents. Thanks for the post CR!

JS1scuba:
FWIW -- Wynn Remley is dead. He died in a boating accident. He was a good guy. The article was written in 1996 and it was way before the "DIR" soapbox was big and loud. It has many good points --

You may also want to read -- Blue Print for Survival 3.0 an article that was written by Michael Menduno (aquacorps) Billy Deans, (the man who put open ocean tech diving in the map) and my self (then publisher of Sub Aqua another wreck/tech magazine)

You will see in this article many concepts that are "doing it right" long before doing it right was an accronym.

Here is a link to it on my old website --- http://www.nitroxdiver.com/Library/article2.html

Regards,
Never said it didnt have good points, but the main people in the quotes for what i term "modified Hogarthian" then went on to use those, others dont use all of those etc. Yeh i didnt take much note of the date, pre-GUE, but still i feel there is a slant there. Thanks for the options on further reading and from a quick glance through that site a good overview of the technical diving principles. I already have a list and pile of books at home that i am wading through regarding all sorts of diving subjects - xmas present to myself :wink:

I also agree that awareness was also not mentioned - good catch dilligraf, welcome to the board BTW! You might want to head over to the Florida Conch Divers forum, say hi and come dive with us sometime, you sound like your head is screwed on right! :wink:

JS1scuba:

Regards,

Win and I worked on that article together. It was written at a time when Hogartian and DIR was just stepping foot into the technical dive arena. (1996).

Much more history preludes this article, from the Aquacorp days of the early 90’s and even further back to the late 60’s and early 70s of cave diving with Sheck Exley, Tom Mount and Wes Skiles, just to mention a few pioneers.

Hogartian and DIR today is extrapolated from the earlier gear configurations and mind sets from the pioneers, packaged in a nicely wrapped course with a colorful ribbon.

Don’t let this pretty package fool you, it is just a small stepping stone that leads you down the path of experience, the true teacher in diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom