The Importance of Logging your Dives. The Advantages for new divers (and old)

How do you prefer to log your dives?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about you log what you want to log and everyone else can do the same and we won’t question the utility or applicability of it for each other?

Everyone’s log book is after all just that ... their own log book
I'm sure the arguments in this thread follow the same theme as usual.

I agree Log what you want in the way you want.

However. I strongly encourage new divers and infrequent to log all the details, for the obvious reasons of a record of weights, exposure protection and for a record of dive count/experience that counts to further training. After a while with experience etc this becomes less important.

I personally keep a paper book, just for teaching dives, so that my students can sign my book as my buddy (gives them a nice feeling to sign an instructors book)

I have friends, whose books are just note books, there dive number may as well be a page number - they record what they've seen and what interests them

My main log is electronic, and while its great for historically looking for info (when someone asks what I think the water temp might be on a forthcoming dive, I can look back and tell them that over the previous 4 or 5 years it's been X)

But it's soulless

I've spent many evenings over a beer or 7 with a long time diver, turning the well worn pages of their logs over. Diver centre stamps, and signatures of buddies since gone, have evoked their memories and triggered fascinating stories.

Not keeping some form of paper log is something I regret now. When I'm old and confined to a bed, I'm hardly going to be using a spreadsheet to look back over my past life

OK. One may have various tanks and other equipment at times. May have 3 or more exposure suits, requiring different weighting. Are there any other variables?
OK, possibly a (serious) change in body weight (not 10 pounds for someone weighing 150-250 pounds).
Why would one log this stuff in the book? One sheet of paper taped on the wall doesn't do?
I log all the other stuff mentioned, especially water temp., but I can find that online anyway before I dive. But you gotta log something....

I agree that a single sheet of paper would work for a lot of people for keeping track of their lead requirements. There are potentially a lot of combinations of a lot of variables. But, it could still work.

OTOH, it seems like, especially for newer divers, weighting requirements are a work in progress. Generally, needing less weight as they dive more. So, having that info on each logged dive let's the diver actually see their own progress. Some people like to see that - like they like to see that their gas consumption is improving over time.

I have always logged my dives. I refer back to them for info on the various configurations I dive from warm OW single tank to dry suit rebreather in salt and fresh. I also like fish ID and log in all the species I see on each dive.

If you don't note the critters you see in your log, you are a horrible person. Hope you get a rash.

I logged the first ~100 dives in a book (and digital) but since then only in Subsurface and Shearwater Cloud
I dive almost every week. I still log the min basics of every dive. The amount of information varies with the amount of changes from the norm.
If I am using any new gear or configuration, I log the dive in great detail. If it's a new site, marine life or wrecks, I make plenty of extra notes and tag with photos taken as well.
If I'm diving at my local quarry, for the millionth time, I write, 'it was a nice day for a dive' :)

I log all of my dives on paper in a leather backed journal style book. When I first began diving many years ago I used some of the pre printed log books that dive shops sold. Later and sadly I stopped logging dives for about 10 years. One day I happened upon my old log books and was surprised at the memories they dredged up. After that experience I started logging dives again. My entries are now colorful and tell the story of the location, the people and the fun we had. I complete most of the entries by pasting in a picture or two that captures the moment. Since I have started this practice I have found that my log books are sought after reading on subsequent trips and have lead to many good conversations enjoyed by all.

Wow. I actually wasn’t offended at all. Not sure why you thought I was.

Just questioning why you care so deeply about what other people log? I may start logging what outfit I wore on the boat so I don’t wear the same one on the same boat two times in a row. Just because I want to. That’s the beauty of it. It’s MY log book. I can log as much or as little as I want and it makes ZERO difference to everyone else.
Jim, Sorry. I guess I just get a bit carried away when the old Log Book thread constantly pops up. Of course everyone should write in (or computer) whatever he/she wants. When I see people talking about logging exposure suits, weighting on each dive, I for some reason, just cringe. By now you know my reasons why.
Diving D points out that doing this may be of comfort for new divers, and I have always admired him with his posts. Just wasn't something I ever felt was needed and practical to do (from day 1).
So, no hard feelings?
Let's proceed to page 12.........

I log on paper the basics and brief info. On subsurface and dive log (when I had a computer that accepted the infrared) I log details like what I need to work on, insights who dove with us/what I learned from them, marine life etc.

Back
Top Bottom