The Jaw-Dropping Stats from Hurricane Irma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nor did the quote you picked out say that the human part of the forces made the hurricane "so severe", all it says is that hurricanes are increased in intensity due to prevailing climatic conditions to which humans contribute.

Burning coal, oil and gas warms our planet and that way supplies energy for the build-up of ever more powerful tropical storms,” said Levermann.

:confused:

But this doesn't in itself justify the "bad" season of 2017.

No matter, it appears we are once more in agreement on the major point.

Sounds scary. But that's the point of this Captain Obviousesque point.
outside the Caribbean/GoM
Are you suggesting that storm ferocity is on the decline then? Maybe you're suggesting that the preponderance of scientists don't know global warming from shinola??? It's easy to cast doubt where little exists.

These are nuthin' but FUDDD tactics: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, Distortion & Deceit. They don't add to our scientific understanding or knowledge, but rather try to tear them down. Usually, there's a political agenda here, though not always. Chicken Littles do exist.
If only it were so simple that warmer water directly equated to more and stronger hurricanes
So you're suggesting that warmer water can also reduce storm intensity? Do you have actual facts to support this??? Of course, there are other mitigating factors that may intensify or diminish a storm. I even pointed that out, but I've never heard anyone suggest that warmer water may reduce the intensity of a storm. Call me a 'skeptic', but I'm going to have to see some evidence in order to accept this. Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.

Sounds scary. But that's the point of this Captain Obviousesque point.

Huh?

Are you suggesting that storm ferocity is on the decline then?

Nope.

So you're suggesting that warmer water can also reduce storm intensity?

Again that's a big nope, that's all you.

This convo seems rather unproductive, let me fix that.

Last edited:
Science doesn't have a political agenda
Quoted for truth.

Science has its flaws, sure. But science is inherently self-correcting, and scientists respect data and evidence above everything.

If I recall correctly... CNN has had a long list of people on that are saying that this is all because of AGW... And "Here is the proof" ... Where were they for the past years when there were no big storms.. The last time they were playing the AGW card was Katrina..

The same people who are AGW nuts also are anti nuke... If CO2 is the problem then you think they would be willing to build. Nuclear power plants and shut down the coal and gas fired plants as fast as we can.

Jim...

I've been on Scubaboard only one year, so I didn't realize this discussion is as cyclical as the weather! Here is a post from over 10 years ago talking about the same thing!
The OP on this thread suggests not idling the SUV as a helpful hint, whereas, I would suggest planting more trees, not lawn, but anyway:
Don't complain when you're part of the problem.

Opposing view:
One thing I never saw mentioned in the stories of how the earth is warmer now than in the past 400 years was the fact that 400 years ago we were smack in the middle of this thing called the Little Ice Age, which ran roughly from 1300 - 1850.

In Eurpoe there were a few minor effects credited to the LIA:

Quite a few bad crop years leading up to the mid 1300s weakened the population. The colder weather also drove people indoors with the rats, which contributed to the Black Death spreading like wildfire.

The wine grape industry in Northern Europe failed year after year (leading to the dramatically increased popularity of beer and hard spirits, since they can be made with more 'cold tolerant' crops. Even today the 'northern line' of the region where grapes are grown is 350 miles south of where it used to be. Also, since the U.S. was settled originally by northern europeans, the cultural behavior was transported and the alcohol industry here is 93% beer & hard spirits (mostly beer), 7% wine.

The Viking colonies in Greenland were driven back to Europe by the harsh conditions.

The adoption of a certain cold-weather-tolerant breed of potato as a staple crop in many areas (>90% of the diet of an average person, Ireland for example) leading to the potato famine when that one crop was ravaged by disease.

The Year Without A Summer (look it up).

Anyway, there are many more effects. All tied to this 500-year LIA. There are several theories of the causes of the LIA. There were were a lot of volcanos going off, and solar activity was different than it was before or since.

Isn't it interestig that none of the news stories chose to mention the LIA when reporting that the earth is warmer now than it was 400 years ago?

Then no discussion or retraction of this linear analysis of AGW and Hurricanes during the calm Hurricane years, now back at it.

Last edited:
They "AGW people" cry the same thing every time there is a big storm.. It's really funny to me....

Jim...

Again that's a big nope, that's all you.
Let's get this straight. I suggested that warmer water makes more violent storms.

You said it was "complicated". In what way is this one variable complicated?

So, just considering this one vector, does warmer water add or detract from a storm's ferocity? Please support your supposition.

This convo seems rather unproductive, let me fix that.
Oh, and leave? How droll. People ask you for facts to support your remarkable claims and you scoot? I'm beginning to suspect more of a political agenda here.

They "AGW people"
Did you ever get the bad taste of saying "The earth is flat!" out of your mouth? Science postulates, the deniers deny, and a century later they accept facts as just that. In the meantime, science has postulated more stuff that violates their religious or political agendas and they deny that too. It's a vicious circle, but science doesn't care if you believe it or not. It just wants to figure things out.

Back
Top Bottom