The Late Tom Wetzel/ Los Angeles Area Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
To all who knew him, maybe you can assist me: My nickname is "Popeye," and I was Tom's student in 1982 when he worked as a technician at Los Angeles City College. I am hoping to re-connect with a few of the fellow scuba class students, basic and advanced, that I knew; today they would range in age primarily from 60 to 70 (I am now 65). I could toss out a few names here, but there are others too: instructor Tim Coates, Erin and Gabby O'Neil, Carl ("Mongo") Hicks, Danny and Teresa Gosparini, Ben and Lorraine Saddler, Jesus Deumovich. Can anyone get back to me if they remember anyone from 1982-83 period. I still live in Los Angeles (downtown). My phone is (877) 847-8866 and primary email address is jarenshaw@ureach.com. I am on Facebook under John Renshaw in Los Angeles. Thanks to all. Would love to hear from you great people!
1982 scuba diving group 7 including Tom Wetzel.jpg
scuba diving 1982 group 5 including Dave Bunch and Jesus Deumovich.jpg
scuba diving l982 letter from Tracey Murakami Jue LACO Parks and Recreation.jpg

Sorry to report Tom Passed away the morning of December 28. 2017

September 22, 2018
Memorial service at Vets park for LA County Underwater Instructor and NAUI instructor Tom Wetzel

It is suggested that you contact @KenKurtis for details.

FYI
second picture
red shirt -- Dave Bunch -84 or 85 doing well

Re personages
Tim Coates,
Check with LA CO Underwater recreation office

Erin and Gabby O'Neil,
Erin is alive and well active in the Womens diving hall of fame
Erin was married to Bob -- recall all the Marlboro man ads -- that was Bob - who never smoked
Do not know Gabby O'Neil

Carl ("Mongo") Hicks, Danny and Teresa Gosparini,
Not acquainted

Ben and Lorraine Saddler,
Divorced many years ago
Ben may or may not still be practicing law in LA --some where ???
Lorraine has lived at Catalina Island for many years - employed at the USC Chamber

Jesus Deumovich.
No acquainted with him

Re letter
Dick retired as a college instructor - reported passed away
Ed Peterson - retired from LA Co,, had serious eye sight problems -- passed away

I never had much contact with Tracey -- but she certainly tells it like it was -- and sadly still is and becoming more pronounced so many who dive but so few divers in this world -- they dive among us for a short period and move on. - for that we can be grateful !

You were fortunate to have completed the three month long 100 hours (plus!) LA Co ADP - One heck of a program-- I was one of the architects of the program and gave many of the Thursday evening lectures as well as conducted the day long Orange county dive location tours. Children (5 in 5 years) and a doctorate got in the way so I phased out of active participation with LA CO in 1980s-- but just recently renewed my interest

Sorry for all the sad news of all your acquaintances passing away but rejoice that there are some sill active.

Warmest regards from CenCal

Sam Miller, III

LA Co 11 UICC
1964 -Outstanding contributions to UW Instruction
( I designed and developed the Diver & Instructor classification system - rejected by LA Co & NAUI accepted by PADI )
1969 - Outstanding LA UW Instructor of the year for 1969
LA CO UIA of Directors
LA CO UIA_ UICC Dive master (Not the kind on a dive boat !)

Lorraine can be reached at the Catalina Chamber

Tom playing the walrus in one of my videos:

diver Tom Wetzel AUG 2010 05-a.jpg

1982-scuba-diving-group-7-including-tom-wetzel-jpg.516820.jpg

This is the Tom Wetzel I knew and remembered

What a sad memory of a great popular instructor you have imbedded in the memory of these who knew him and respected him

I and I suspect most of Tom Wetzel's associates and friends would like him to be remembered as a young trim in shape energetic LA County Underwater Instructor and NAUI SCUBA Instructor who graciously through his long career gave of his time and energy to instruct others in the wonders of the underwater world, Now 40 years later in his dotage at the end of his long and distinguished instructional and diving career he will be remembered as Walrus in a "movie."

So sad so very sad....

Sam Miller, 111

View attachment 517011
Now 40 years later in his dotage at the end of his long and distinguished instructional and diving career he will be remembered as Walrus in a "movie."

So sad so very sad....

Sam Miller, 111

Well, Sam... Tom loved it. He had a sense of humor

Tom was one of the many excellent instructors when i went through LA County ADP summer program...full of knowledge and kindless. Some say he was tough...but for me the was tough, fair, and had a Navy sense of humor.

When I was a candidate for UICC I interned with him.

He will be greatly missed.

Back
Top Bottom