The latest technical diving regulator …the Phoenix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Luis. Very cool rigs, I like them a lot. Just out of curiosity, how deep are you planning on taking these rigs with your advanced nitrox/deco procedures class?

Jim

I think Luis will go as deep as he wants, meaning just as deep as he would with any other type rig.

Hi Luis. Very cool rigs, I like them a lot. Just out of curiosity, how deep are you planning on taking these rigs with your advanced nitrox/deco procedures class?

Jim

Well, here in Maine we are kind of limited with depth. This time of the year the only dive boat in southern Maine is out of the water and from shore diving we kind of need to start digging if we want some depth.

The course requirement I think is minimum 100ft for the deco part. We can get just past that in a spot up the coast…at high tide (we do have over 10ft tides around here).

The equipment itself has no limitations. I have had most of this equipment much deeper than the class requires.

There is a lot to be said about well maintained simple gear that has a good history for reliability.

Very cool stuff. A nice double hose reg is on my list of many things to acquire over the years, and seeing as in my neck of the woods (Lake Erie), our dive sites tend to start at 70 to 100 feet, I'd love to see how a good double hose performs at depth with some helium in the mix.

Keep us updated on how your vintage "tech" rig works, I really like it.

It does fine with helium mix.

N

Next summer I will have to get Luis out on the U-853 and/or the USS Bass. Then we both can run our PRAM or whatever around the subs together.

It does fine with helium mix.

N

I'm sure it does even better than fine with some helium in it.

Too many cool things, not enough time.

My intention is to do some tri-mix classes in the hopefully near future. Primarily for the knowledge, since I don’t have a lot of opportunities or need to dive deep.

That being said Gilldivers invitations sounds interesting.

Double hose regulators have been used a number of times with helium. When Cousteau did the Britannic he was using single stage Spirotechnique Mistrals with Helium-O2 mixtures. Cousteau favorite regulator was the single stage Mistral due to its simple reliability.

BTW, some divers think that Cousteau first regulator was a single stage, but that is not correct. The single stage regulator was not around until the 50’s. Cousteau first regulators were all two stage (first the Gasouneau (sp?), then the square baquelite ones, and finally the CG45, etc). The CG45 had the familiar alarm clock design and is the predecessor to the all the Broxton’s and therefore the Aqua Master, etc.

Using a double hose regulator in a technical diving configuration definitely has a large “cool factor”, but more important is that it has many practical advantages, and like everything, it also has some disadvantages.

The two other divers I am training with are using full Hogarthian style configuration. We work together just fine.

I would actually like to look at how the DIR configuration is done when using re-breathers (as Nemrod suggested). I always try to keep an open mind and try incorporate what I feel is the best combination of gear, techniques, etc.

As I proceed, I will be writing more about any lessons learned, etc.
It is always fun trying different configurations and expanding knowledge and experiences.

If you move on up to mixed gas with stage bottles the two major factors that you will run into are:

1) The horse collar BC and stage bottle rigging just don't seem to go together all that well. So I would recommend a back mounted wing.
2) Storeing of the double hose when switching over to the stage deco gas. I know you have said that you have some plugs to clip off the mouthpiece to and I would like to see what it looks like and give it a try.

As for the regs, all of mine are O2 clean and ready for any gas mixture. But I don't want to run high O2% till I find an adhesive for the 2nd stage seat that I know is safe at 50 or higher %. Not that it really matters as about the richest mixture I should be blowing through a DH as a primary reg is 32 or 36%.

If you move on up to mixed gas with stage bottles the two major factors that you will run into are:

1) The horse collar BC and stage bottle rigging just don't seem to go together all that well. So I would recommend a back mounted wing.
2) Storeing of the double hose when switching over to the stage deco gas. I know you have said that you have some plugs to clip off the mouthpiece to and I would like to see what it looks like and give it a try.

As for the regs, all of mine are O2 clean and ready for any gas mixture. But I don't want to run high O2% till I find an adhesive for the 2nd stage seat that I know is safe at 50 or higher %. Not that it really matters as about the richest mixture I should be blowing through a DH as a primary reg is 32 or 36%.

I gave up on a horse collar as an ideal BC a long time ago. Actually as a kid my horse collar was mostly for surface flotation…the need for a BC is minimal in the Caribbean.

That being said, IMO the Fenzy is still the coolest flotation device ever…it took me a long time to figure out how uncomfortable and so many ways impractical it is, but it is still the coolest. :cool2:

I am using a wing with my modified rig for my doubles and a different wing and rig for my tech single setup. I still like my modified vest for most general single tank diving…I am still modifying the wing to improve its venting, etc.

The mouthpiece plug works like a charm. I used it last weekend and although I don’t find it essential all the time it does adds one more option. It not only plugs the mouthpiece, it also parks it near my left “D” ring (where the plug is attached).

Some people never use any adhesive for the second stage seat. The seat is basically captured. I do use a very minute amount of Aquaseal.

The adhesive would never see anything but ambient pressure since it is on the outside of the pressure zone of the second stage. Even the pressure in the second stage itself is low enough that it should not be a problem. But, as you said this is all academic since your primary regulator should never see high O2.

In a way it is kind of too bad that a double hose is not practical for stage bottles (and high O2 concentrations), because it would be extremely easy to O2 clean a double hose. Something like an Aqua Master has no O-rings; a complete Mistral has fewer parts than just about any second stage…never mind a complete regulator.

I don't know about its compatibility with oxygen but I use super glue on second stage seats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom