The luggage weighting game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in the USA there are some airlines that offer discount seats but the price does not include carry-on luggage. I'm not certain but I think American might be one of them. We just flew Alaska airlines and got cheap tickets and they recently reduced the size of the allowed carry-on to 22" of height. While in Mexico they actually made us put our carry-on into the little box to see if it fit. Both of ours were too thick but fit lengthwise and sideways. They allowed us to take them on the plane anyway. We made sure to double-check to insure that the carry-ons were included in our fares. One thing is certain: on Alaska on their 737 800 there is no way to get a "personal item" that is 17" wide (their allowed width) under the aisle or middle seat. They also say it can be 11" thick and I'm sure that won't fit either. 8" is probably about it. The window seats have more room, at least for the width. As usual, our carry-ons and personal items were not weighed (LAX to LTO and back).

Edit: In Mexico they offered to let us check our carry-on luggage for free. Since we already had a checked bag I accepted their offer. I did, however, have to remove my laptop and they asked if I had any "spare" lithium batteries or lighters or matches in my bag. Since all of my lithium batteries were in their device I said "no."

I never ever had any issue with luggage weight because I read the small print and packed accordingly.
Really hate to stand in a queue when certain moron, male or female, trying to argue their cases when quite obvious that they had exceeded the allowed limit.
There is one very effective and simple solution if you do not want to pay for excess luggage: leave them at home.

Flying between the Philippines and California on Philippine Airlines I have occasionally had my carry on bag AND personal bag weighed.

My backpack is usually over their "allowed" carry on baggage weight. I explain that I am an underwater photographer with my regulator set, dive computer, and camera equipment in my backpack. I've never been charged extra or hassled about my equipment. I guess they don't want to assume the responsibility of requiring me to check those items with "sticky fingers" here in PH.

I have seen Philippine Airlines weighing and/or checking carry on bags at the gate, but I just try to keep a low profile and partially obstruct my bag from their view :p. Never had an issue (yet).

As mentioned above, occasionally my personal bag, in this case a laptop bag, weighed, but it appears to only occur on really full flights.

Edit, add: Being prepared with your documents, being courteous, respectful, and cheery, with a smile (regardless of how long the wait) will go along way with how the check in agents treat you and your bags. By that point, the agents are getting exhausted with other flyers complaining, begging, or just being rude. Your pleasent demeanor will go a loooong way to your benefit.

Here in the USA there are some airlines that offer discount seats but the price does not include carry-on luggage. I'm not certain but I think American might be one of them.

Up until recently, American's "Basic Economy" option ($50 cheaper than Economy, generally) used to only allow a personal item and not a carry-on. A couple months ago they changed that policy so that carry-on luggage is allowed if you go for that option. However, one of the downsides of going with the discount option is that you board in the last group, so invariably you will be forced to check your carry-on at the gate because the overhead tends to fill up very quickly nowadays. It's free of charge, though, so not a big deal as long as you don't need access to your carry-on in flight and all of your lithium-ion batteries are in your personal item.

so invariably you will be forced to check your carry-on at the gate because the overhead tends to fill up very quickly nowadays. It's free of charge, though, so not a big deal as long as you don't need access to your carry-on in flight and all of your lithium-ion batteries are in your personal item.

The main drawback for me when I check my carry-on is that I have a habit of keeping my passport in the "short" pocket on the outside so it is readily accessible. I need to make sure I take it out so I can fill out the immigration papers along the way. In the past I've managed to avoid bringing a checked bag until the price of BCD rentals went up so high that I finally bought one. Meanwhile I have figured out how to fit it in without a checked bag. The other issue was that Mexico required lithium batteries in the checked bag when boarding in Mexico but now they have changed that to carry-on only so as long as I don't stay long enough to have to trim my mustache and fingernails I can get by without the checked bag.

I never ever had any issue with luggage weight because I read the small print and packed accordingly.
Really hate to stand in a queue when certain moron, male or female, trying to argue their cases when quite obvious that they had exceeded the allowed limit.
There is one very effective and simple solution if you do not want to pay for excess luggage: leave them at home.
I too conform to the weight limits by prudent distribution in checked/carry-on/personal item bags. I make sure I am not over the limit and grin and bear it when paying for the one legal weight checked bag I have. But, I am taking the bare essentials for my usual 2+ week stay. I used to bring 2 free checked bags. Leaving excess weight at home to avoid paying extra weight fees simply may not be an option for a lot of people. I do wonder if there is less weight in general on planes now due to excess weight (AND regular weight) fees---as opposed to years ago when there were no fees at all? My uneducated guess is not much difference.

Back
Top Bottom