The mythical "perfect" knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im looking at knives, and what im finding is that I can't find what Im looking for. Maybe it doesnt exist, maybe I just haven't found it. My LDS does carry much in terms of Knives, so I'll ask here and see what I find.

It needs to:

1. Able to attach to my BCD - It is a Mares
2. "Large" handle- 3.5-4 inches. Ive found most BC knives have small handles, which I just think is dangerous. If I cant hold the tool, how am I supposed to use it?

I would like, but these arent deal breakers

3. Blunt tip
4. Titanium

Any suggestions?

I've been through this myself.

These days I use cheap stainless steel knives mounted in a sheath made of webbing, mounted on my harness; I don't pay much for them and recycle when they start rusting. The Titanium knife sounds like such a great idea standing in a dive shop, but the first time you lose one at $60 or $90 a pop, well you might be rethinking your decision making process (ask me how I know).

No idea what would fit on a Mares BCD, I think the problem you are going to find is that many of the knives designed to be attached to a BCD are also small, which may not square up with your "large handle" requirement. Maybe check with your Mares dealer to see if they sell a custom solution?

IMO, having a good set of diving shears (aka: trauma shears) is as important as having a dive knife and are more useful underwater. He is a picture of the type of knife and shears I use, $21 for both from the good folks at DiveRiteExpress.com:

pouch-250.jpg

Even if you use a more "standard" knife (whatever that means) I think the shears are going to be far more valuable underwater over the long run.

John_B

IMO, having a good set of diving shears (aka: trauma shears) is as important as having a dive knife and are more useful underwater. He is a picture of the type of knife and shears I use,

Even if you use a more "standard" knife (whatever that means) I think the shears are going to be far more valuable underwater over the long run.

I agree with the use of the EMT shears. They are much cheaper if you order on-line from most first aid equipment suppliers after you get the fabric pouch at a scuba shop. I would also recommend grinding the steel hinge pin off (I use a dremel) of the scissors as it rusts fairly quickly. I replaced the pin with stainless steel locknut, screw and split washer (for tension) hardware. It will still rust if you don't take better care of it than I do but the replacement costs $2.5-3.5. I usually use a dremel wire wheel to get rid of rust between replacements. It can cut thru fishing line without having to tension the line and they can cut thru a penny. I would also recommend placing a elastic cord loop on one of the handles.
EMT shears
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/servlet/Categories?category=EMS:Scissors,+Shears+&+Blades
EMT shears with sheath
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=KN25

I have the OMS titanium half serrated, blunt tip knife. I have it mounted with small black zip ties on the webbing of my Scubamax Altima BC-5000 buoyancy compensator. I'm not sure how the mares is set up, but it seems to me like it would incorporate into most BC's. I searched high and low and researched many knives before finally settling on the OMS. It's actually the only piece of dive gear that I own that isn't Scubamax. Good luck in your search

Im looking at knives, and what im finding is that I can't find what Im looking for. Maybe it doesnt exist, maybe I just haven't found it. My LDS does carry much in terms of Knives, so I'll ask here and see what I find.

It needs to:

1. Able to attach to my BCD - It is a Mares
2. "Large" handle- 3.5-4 inches. Ive found most BC knives have small handles, which I just think is dangerous. If I cant hold the tool, how am I supposed to use it?

I would like, but these arent deal breakers

3. Blunt tip
4. Titanium

Any suggestions?
Why does it need to be a Mares? You can find what you need at ANY dive shop in 2 minutes as long as it doesn't have to be a "Mares"

The scuba gods made knives to be lost. No matter how much you love your cutting tools they will be gone soon and only a fool hardy diver will be sad to see them go. Sure knives are cool but the simple fact is they are the most often lost piece of gear.

I never bought into the idea that a quality solution to the potential cutting problem was a short bladed steak knife but the larger serrated versions can be cut down and placed into an existing sheath and provide a decent way to saw yourself out of a a jam.

Why does it need to be a Mares? You can find what you need at ANY dive shop in 2 minutes as long as it doesn't have to be a "Mares"

He was just stating that the knife has to attach to his BC, which is a Mares.

I understand the mindset. I bought the Oceanic Spinner because it fits perfectly to my Probe BC. I ordered two Oceanic BC "accessory kits" for my son and I, which contain the knife, a retractor (also BC integrated) and a mesh bag. They both arrived at my LDS with the blunt tipped knife, which we did not want. My LDS had a "pointy tip" on hand, so we swapped it out. After close to six weeks of waiting for the other knife, h finally asked me if an Aeris would be acceptable. He told me that Aeris and Oceanic were the same and that the knife would attach to the BC the same way. It did, in fact, the only difference is that the one knife says "Aeris" and the other "Oceanic". My son actually preferred the Aeris one as he is not as Oceanic centric as I am. But I digress...

I like the way the knives attached to our BCs. Perfect placement, easy to grab and use--so I understand the desire to have a BC attachment. Fact is, the attachment is via two brass grommets. I would wager that you could poke a couple of holes in the Mares to mount the screws through and you would never know the difference.

I like this set also (I bought mine seperately). The hardest to find part is the sheath, but the shears are great on stainless and nylon line and the knife will cut an anchor line if you work at it a little bit. The knives are like 10 or 20 for $12 at Sam's Club, so not only doesn't it hurt to lose one, you can give them out as gifts. :D

The only down-side is that you can't pry anything with either one and neither makes any kind of noise when banged on a tank. "Prying" may be overrated, since I've never, ever had the need to pry anything and I use a double-ender for tank banging.

Terry

The scuba gods made knives to be lost. No matter how much you love your cutting tools they will be gone soon and only a fool hardy diver will be sad to see them go. Sure knives are cool but the simple fact is they are the most often lost piece of gear.

I never bought into the idea that a quality solution to the potential cutting problem was a short bladed steak knife but the larger serrated versions can be cut down and placed into an existing sheath and provide a decent way to saw yourself out of a a jam.
I've had my titanium knife for seven years now. It cuts through a 1" cord in about 7 seconds. It's a tool, just like any other tool I dive with...

My cutting sheers are SS cutting sheers. Not the ones you buy online... True SS sheers with a SS bold, that doesn't rot through like most SS sheers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom