The New Scuba Wagon... 2016 350 Transit XLT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A few of you have probably seen my old 2005 Sprinter. I was proud of the old girl, but it seemed I was spending more time fixing it than having fun with it. It was time to trade up a bit, so I started looking. I have to say, I was sold on the Sprinters. Great gas mileage and very flexible, but there were a few problems. First, Elena was not comfortable in it mostly because it's a harsh riding van. Second, it had a lot of insulation.... even too much insulation. 5 to 6 inches all around, making it hard to stand fully upright in the van. Also, it's horrible above 75. You really had to drive careful and I think there was a governor keeping her below 80. Lastly, the noise level was high. It was a diesel, after all. I remember @Doppler commenting on that very thing one day as I drove up to Dive Outpost.

I test drove a number of vehicles, but I was sold on the Ford Transit, XLT. I negotiated the price over emails where they have to give me a good bargain and was pretty happy with the deal. So, this thread is about the build out. It's a good 36" longer, 8" higher and 8" wider than the Sprinter. Even @LowVizWiz will be able to stand up in it. I'll be adding insulation, a tank rack, the tool boxes and charging station that I had in the old Sprinter. I will be locating the drains at the end of the tank rack, stopping water from going into the cargo area. I won't be putting in the hard barrier between the seats and the cargo area, just a curtain. I'll also be adding in a house battery and might put in a jump seat. This past week has been spent in planning and I've started to insulate/sheath the inside. Here's a few photos of my progress so far.

upload_2016-8-5_20-57-23.png

The 3/4" R5 Foam board is glued/taped to the flat metal.

upload_2016-8-5_20-59-34.png

Then R11 fiberglass batting is added on top of that.

upload_2016-8-5_21-1-41.png

Finally, 3/8" exterior glue finish plywood is put over the matrix.​

upload_2016-8-5_21-2-41.png

Here is the foam already fitted into the ceiling.​

Florida has a fairly mild climate, so why is insulation so important?

Florida has a fairly mild climate, so why is insulation so important?
Heat is not good for Scuba equipment nor for sofnolime. You can tell the native or semi-native Floridians by how far they'll walk to park in the shade. I don't want to add a roof unit and without the insulation, the AC unit can not keep up efficiently. The foam made a huge difference. Now that I've added the fiberglass batting, it's incredibly silent and gets kind of cold all the way in the back of the van. That was a good call as far as I'm concerned.

Edit=> I do plan on traveling in this van. It's big enough to have an inflatable mattress in it if I don't stuff it too phreakin full. The insulation will keep me warm in the winter when I'm in cave country.

All deco Buddhas will love it!

I started early this morning... especially since I can't dive. Pulling the new wires for the improved interior LED lighting and splicing them in. I'll be checking the holes in the roof stringers to see if I can use them for the 8m rivet nuts for the ceiling sheathing.

Of course, now that I've published that I'm working on it today, it starts to rain. :( Hopefully it will only be for a few minutes.

Because he doesn't have a cool scubamobile to go diving in just throwing some tanks in the back and a couple of dive bags isn't gonna work. Pete has to make an entrance with his mobile diveshop and have all the toys.

Why can't you dive??
I had a bout with bronchitis. I'm all better now.

The work on the van is proceeding slowly. It's been stupid hot here in the Keys, but the last week has been a bit better. I get two/three hours of real work on it when I can get to it.

The ceiling has been the hardest part. I got bendable plywood and it's w-a-a-a-a-a-y too flexible. Having a second person would have been nice, but I do what I can. It's probably taking 4 times as long to do it alone, but hey. Everyone is working. I'll post some pictures later today.

Back
Top Bottom