• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

The normalization of dives to 100 meters and beyond

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by 2airishuman, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I did not. Owned by my little phone screen. My bad.

chillyinCanada and Fastmarc like this.
  2. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks for the thread 2airishuman...I am enjoying your premise and will post later when I have more time.

Hi Storker,

I agree with your underlying point. Some have opined that the people performing these technical dives have accepted the risk. The Ocean can be a hostile place for humans. Tread lightly if you value your life.

More later...

thanks,
    markm

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999

If we fail to survive as a species, it will be because we have succumbed to psychological collapse due to over-exposure to melodramatic bs.

And if we want to survive as a species, spreading across multiple locations in the solar system would be an excellent start.

BenjaminF, Barnaby'sDad and Bob DBF like this.
  4. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Let me know if I can help. :)

5. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Banned ScubaBoard Supporter

BD...

In light of recent events...it's very hard to respond without being dis-respectful...and or offensive...

Personally...and not referencing any particular incident...I find it irresponsible/careless and highly offensive to leave distraught orphans/spouses/surviving parents behind as the result of an unsuccessful stunt...

Damage mitigation is emmence...and if one were to follow the lives of the immediate family survivors...especially un-supported orphans who may be forced from their homes and left pennyless as the result of...the far-reaching impact hasen't even begun...

There is no normalization...

Respectfully...

W...

markmud likes this.
  6. Schwob

Schwob Solo Diver

As part of a married couple (comparatively divers in begnin conditions so) I, on the one hand agree with your thought there.
    Then on the other hand, my wive and I also i.e. travel in the same plane. Something likely vastly less risky than deep diving and vastly more convenient than making separate planes work, but yet also indicative of our willingness to compromise on things... And risks aside, we certainly are also vastly more out of control of our own destiny on a plane (or a boat...) than on a recreational dive, but we compromise... and probably are perceptive to compromising more as time goes on... ... Just as a thought... no immediate "morals" offered.

And remarking: Good topic @2airishuman !

7. silent running

silent running Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Thanks for the thoughtful questions, perfectly worth asking. However, anyone at all familiar with hypoxic tri-mix dive planning learns very quickly that carrying enough bail out and the limits of deco theory and knowledge mean this type of diving falls under the category of personal risk preferences. In other words, I think it will be a long time before sub 100m diving is approached casually by any thinking diver. I doubt any boat captain allows anyone to do these dives without a personal reference from another qualified diver who is a regular customer. I would be surprised if the number of civilians doing these dives regularly is more than several hundred worldwide...

8. arew+4

arew+4 Barracuda

Leif Erickson and his people had lousy sailing tech but made it west to the Americas a few times before giving up likely due to risk and loss.

Chris Columbus and his crew had better tech, better press, and look what happened to the paradise they found.

I hope ultra deep diving stays a Viking sort of thing.

Personally I cannot envision any sort of planned deco obligation beyond 5 or 10 minutes.
    At least until they come out with a dive computer that includes several solitaire games:wink:

markmud likes this.
  9. 2airishuman

2airishuman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I don't do these sorts of dives and I do recognize that you have firsthand expertise. Yet there have been fatal accidents that do not involve a high level of support -- no habitat, no dive team placing stages before or cleaning them up after. I would hold up as examples the double fatality at Eagles Nest about a year ago, and the recent double fatality in Lake Michigan. In each case, there was surface support in the form of other divers with emergency gas on hand, but nothing beyond that---no chamber aboard, no habitat, no bailout placed at depth beyond what the divers took with them, no communications. I think the track record of the WKPP and some other exploration oriented groups shows that it is possible to conduct dives to these depths safely. What I find troubling is that a buddy team -- whether husband and wife or two friends -- would undertake such dives with no more outside support than, say, a dive on the Spiegel Grove.

Part of the attraction of a rebreather is that it allows dives that were previously team dives (due to gas logistics) to be conducted by buddy pairs or solo divers.

markmud likes this.
  10. 2airishuman

2airishuman ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I can think of five publicized fatalities in dives to around 100m in the last few years. If there are indeed only a few hundred people making these dives, they must indeed be hazardous. I think they were predominantly just shy of 100m rather than just more than 100m, perhaps that's why.

markmud likes this.