The obligatory name change poll

Like the name RUN DMC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_DivePirate:
.... the play on the name is, Run Dive Master cantidate, Run!! A reality that all new to the pro scene will encounter, no matter which certifying agency you are pursuing! .....

justleesa:
The other day an instructor on the boat just said that DMC= Do My Chores :D

Exactly why I don't like the name. I have no intention whatsoever of being treated in such a manner...not that I think this will happen with the shop and folks I'm training with, but I can assure you if it does I'll find someplace else or not train at all. I've been through all that before and at my age am done with it. I put up with pledging a fraternity, working as a Rescue Diver in a scuba shop in college, and enduring Basic Training for the good ole US Army. I'm also well past my entry level days in my career field. So, I'm finished being treated in such a way. I'm all for working hard and earning my keep, but being someone's "spank boy" will just not happen.:no

Come on guys, it's really not like that. We just tell people it's tough so that divers aren't running to become divemasters all at once. Otherwise, how else would we make the big bucks? Don't get too hung up on the name of the forum. If it bothers you, then you're not doing it right. :D

I thought my time as a DMC was quite reasonable. I did have to load a van or two of dive gear, but you quickly learn how to direct the students to do it. Probably the most I've done by myself is to move the van from the parking lot to the loading dock so that the students could hump the gear after they were done with the classroom. I don't recall ever doing it by myself. Students learn to set up their own gear, so all I did was watch them. At some pools, we had a shop guy who would drop off and pick up the gear. Of course, your shop might be different, but it should be a positive experience.

Joe-Diver:
Exactly why I don't like the name. I have no intention whatsoever of being treated in such a manner...not that I think this will happen with the shop and folks I'm training with, but I can assure you if it does I'll find someplace else or not train at all. I've been through all that before and at my age am done with it. I put up with pledging a fraternity, working as a Rescue Diver in a scuba shop in college, and enduring Basic Training for the good ole US Army. I'm also well past my entry level days in my career field. So, I'm finished being treated in such a way. I'm all for working hard and earning my keep, but being someone's "spank boy" will just not happen.:no

It was never stated that you should have too drop to your knees or anything like that!! And, SPANK BOY? only if that's what you're into? It also is not named
"DM SLAVES" The name "Run DMC" only implies, that as the trainee, you will be expected too have too go the extra mile. You claim that you've been through situations like this before, and you're not doing that again. Sounds a little, TOO PROUD to me, could be do too the FORCES.IMO As, Do it Easy said, " if it were easy, everybody would be doing it. Also, you stated that you were in the Army, like Boot Camp( OW cert) you were rode pretty hard, but it was to make sure that you could handle certian situations with basic competency. Becoming a DM,AI,OWSI, or even an II(Instructor Instructor) is like joining the SPECIAL OPS!! The reason the training sessions are more excessive, is the fact that you have WAY more RESPONSIBILITIES, and if you are not willing to bust your hump the extra bit to become a dive pro maybe it's not your thing? I NEVER said, you had to kiss @$$ to get your status, but, being expected to go the extra bit? doesn't seem too much too ask of someone. Look at this way, If you ever become an Instructor and are able to train DM's and higher, your'e not going too want them too have too do the crappy jobs, while you deal with the less painful jobs?
Being a self employed builder, I have plenty of experience in this! When I hire a laborer, the first week is hell week, you have them do things that really try a persons integrity/work ethic so as too see what that person is made of. I'm not saying that I have them do things that I would not do!, anything but! I would never ask anyone too do anything that I would not do myself!! But, if they want me too teach them how to become a builder, and compete with me. They will have to pay some dues!!! Oh, also, you have apparently never heard the statement " the lowest man on the totem pole/least paid man on the pay scale, seems too be the hardest worked (manually anyways) It's kinda like this forum, You gotta work your @$$ off if you really want!!!!! That's the way it's always been, at least for me anyways. If it were easy you would not appreciate it as much, its value wouldn't be worth much. I just believe, that anything worth having is worth busting my @$$ for, and when I achieve what it was I put out too achieve, it makes it all the better!!!!!IMO

Dive safe/Train hard,
Joe

Nah...never said anything about being too proud or not having to work for it, in fact I even stated that hard work was expected. Just simply stating that I will not tolerate being treated poorly or in a disrespectful way. Period. That's the point of it. It has nothing to do with working hard or not working hard, earning the cert or having it given away. You have to earn it and you have to work hard to get it, that is of course expected....but you don't have to tolerate being abused or worked hard for the sake of working hard or someone else's amusement.

Don't mistake my comments for meaning that a strong work ethic, hard work and effort is not expected. It most surely is....there's just a way to go about it, and get that from someone...without treating them like crap. And again, I'll say that I have not been treated that way, not even close. I'm training with some really great folks that like to have fun.

DP - Who said anything about getting paid? You getting paid? I'm not...man, where are you training? I'm going to come train with you....if you pay me, well, you can abuse me...a little anyway....:)

I misread the choice there for a second. I could have sworn one of them was "Going Poor"...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom