The origins of Scuba Pro: Healthways Scuba.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought this was an interesting story.

Taking a look back: Healthways Scuba, 1963

In the late 1950’s and early 1960’s, scuba diving gear was available to consumers through a number of small companies, one of those being Healthways.

Healthways was a firm founded by Dick Klein which made scuba gear, which ultimately went bankrupt in 1963, due in part to Dick Kiein’s failing health. It was one of the five original USA diving gear makers, the others being U.S. Divers, Voit, Dacor, Swimaster. Notably, Dick Klein saw early on the value of the term “scuba” and placed a copyright on the term, and soon all Healthways products had the term “SCUBA” somewhere in their product name.

Rest of story here: Taking a look back: Healthways Scuba, 1963

View attachment 440331
Fabulous. Sorry I am late to this party but thoroughly enjoyed this thread. Simply fascinating and fabulous. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Reactions: mdb
Understood Sam Miller,III. I enjoyed seeing catalog pages as well as the price lists. And of course, I always enjoy your comments as well as reading historical things especially about Heathways and Scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom