The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai:
I do not qualify under the heading of "a DIR diver" because I have not taken the courses under that heading, or purchased the "specific" DIR gear, nor have I even read any legitimate information of the subject. I have choosen not to enter this realm purely based on the rantings of who are commonly refered to as ... well, you have heard them rant. This is unfortunate for many of us because I think that we all improve with a sharing of knowledge. From what I understand from conversations with (real) DIR tech divers is that the original basis of DIR is (but not limited to) the concept of both human and dive gear function, ability, and performance, all wrapped around consistancy. A positive attitude toward health and fitness, and an understanding of your own limitations. I feel that I can do all of this without someone elses stamp of approval.

Unfortunately the surface area of DIR is skinned pretty thick with external marketing of specific products, an aire of elite snobbery "I am and you are not" private club status, and a holyer than thou attitude.
The worst part of the entire contoversy is the fact that many divers are either hidding behind their own group-based DIR blanket of fear of redicule, or straying away from other pieces of safety equiptment or techniques (some DIR, some not) because of being told that "this other way is the ONLY way".

Personally, I don't care how long you have been diving, or where, or with whom you have trained. There is no substitute for an open mind and a willingness to learn. And this goes for the newly certified as well as the vintage "C" card holders.

There are old divers and there are bold divers but there are no old bold divers. I am a firm beliver in the idea of 'a good diver is always training'. I have been diving since 1990 and I have well over one thousand dives, and I learn something new every day. Weither I am playing or working, on the water, in the water, or in the repair shop.

There is no substitute for experience. Fortunately, the more experienced divers can pass on their experiences on what went wrong so others can learn and ADAPT..

Another aspect of official DIR that I dislike is the reluctancy to try and use things that definately work and make like easier instead of moving people away from something that they may have and work well with...

A simple example is "billy D" rings, sold by a few companies (halycon isn't one) under various names, the best is highland mills.. These make put on and taking off stages a breeze even in 3 finger mits... They will let you use them in Dir-F but its gone by tech-1..

Thanks to everyone for the interesting responses so far. As a summary for future posters to this thread, I am looking for reason why you have not gone down (or up - I'm trying to be unbiased :D) the DIR path. There are other threads to debate the pros and cons if you want to beat up (or down) someone over it.

OK Zipp's got your drift, rant over
I am considering some form of technical training to further my experience but probably looking at TDI or IANTD,
Firstly, in Asia presently only one GUE instructor.
Despite the many posts (and often interesting reading,) concerning the DIR-F course i am not convinced i will benefit from this, especially many of the gear re configurations that i would have grounds to debate over. And so having to take an extra course before starting on the other trianing is not my idea. Also I dont like being told there is only one way to do things.

For example all deco tanks on the left. Why acording to GUE, (from my limited experience), so you are balanced with your can light on the right and your hose routing is clean, and scootering is easier. With Can lights getting smaller and smaller this argument is now bull. Surely if i know my O2 is on the right, and if i were to have total backgas failure and be in a low vis situation, then i would have a better chance of not breathing 100% O2 at depth if the tanks are not slung together.
Why do i have to follow someones rules on this if I can see a more logical solution that suits me? The argument against is that my buddy or team should all be configured the same, well in the above scenario they arent there and its up to me to fix a problem.

Well before i go off on one will stop there. By the way positive criticism is accpetable

Albion:
For example all deco tanks on the left. Why acording to GUE, (from my limited experience), so you are balanced with your can light on the right and your hose routing is clean, and scootering is easier. With Can lights getting smaller and smaller this argument is now bull. Surely if i know my O2 is on the right, and if i were to have total backgas failure and be in a low vis situation, then i would have a better chance of not breathing 100% O2 at depth if the tanks are not slung together.

I carry my bottles on the left because they're not in the way of deploying the long hose, it's always my left hand that's working the valves and I don't have a small can light so using a d-ring on the right is a pain. If I have a lot of bottles and the cave is low I'll put some on the right. I hand a piece of shock cord on the belt (if anything) intead of a d-ring and those are the bottles that get dropped first. If profile isn't an issue I carry some on a leash clipped to my left hip d-ring. In any case if I have a bottle on the right it's not going to be there long and it's never a bottle that I'm going to use.

I don't rely on the position of the tank to make sure I get the right gas. Look at the MOD marked on the tank, deploy the reg, purge down while watching the gauge to make sure the reg in your hand is the one connected to that tank, turn it back on and breath. If it comes on and you can breath, you have the right gas. Then watch your buddy make their switch.

It doesn't have anything to do with DIR though. LOL

Diver0001:
It's a range of behaviours, equipment choices, techniques and attitudes (at least to me)
R..

I have not, because to me it does not seem like a range of choices.

Juls

post deleted i mis read mike post first time

If it weren't for the elitist attitude and putting down everyone else, and for the dictatorial equipment choices, it wouldn't seem so much like a bad religion. That said, I always check their website for their dictated answer on where to put a piece of gear and why to do so as a POSSIBLE alternative for me. Their "one true answer" is not always my best choice, but it is an alternative I want to consider along with the stated reasoning.

But do I always need to dive in backplate and wings to be consistently safe? No bloody way. I do so for my tech diving in doubles, but find a back-inflate BC more comfortable and practical for my recreational diving.

theskull

Albion:
Thats fair enough you have a reasoned approach and from your other posts i respect what you are saying. I was saying what if the **** hits the fan would I have time to check the MOD etc etc having a left right approach makes sense to me and would be my choice based on the information i have available, i would not want something forced on me idid not belive was in my best interest

I understand what you're saying but I still use position conventions. I just don't rely on them to give me the right gas. Normally I wear the O2 on the inside because I'm using it last. The acception is when I'm on my way into a cave and then I wear it on the outside because I'm going to drop it first.

But...if the stuff hits the fan and I don't have time to check the MOD then I'm not going to switch gas yet.
Not sure why you 'LOL" at your choice not being DIR you made a reasoned choice that some here do not follow. Its like me saying i have two second stages but its not course PADI told me LOL

It's because because my mother gave me the only label that I need when I was born and I didn't want any one to think that I was trying to explain DIR.

theskull:
If it weren't for the elitist attitude and putting down everyone else, and for the dictatorial equipment choices, it wouldn't seem so much like a bad religion. That said, I always check their website for their dictated answer on where to put a piece of gear and why to do so as a POSSIBLE alternative for me. Their "one true answer" is not always my best choice, but it is an alternative I want to consider along with the stated reasoning.

theskull

The internet lemmings are a pain. I also find that many of them understand less about the system than some of the people they're mouthing off to. They just get in everybodies way.

... I have two or three excellent instructors who have been diving for years at the LDS. One of them taught my Advanced Nitrox class. They gave me enough information to be safe and let me evolve my kit and diving tactics on my own. I am good at learning from others mistakes as well as my own. In short, it is a simple matter of flexibility and thinking things through instead of simply being told "Do it this way". I won't bash DIR/GUE as I have picked up a lot of great information from them and modified parts of my kit/style accordingly. But, I take what I like and leave what doesn't work for me right now. The issue of standardized gas mixes is one of the sore spots for me. I personally believe in adjusting my mix depending on the dive. I may push a higher PO2 in warm water with less gear and exposure protection than I would in a drysuit and full wreck diving gear, for example.

If my start in diving had been at a shop with DIRf instructors, I would most likely feel differently. But, I am trained by older style divers and that is the way that I am.

Oh, I also don't agree with class formats for diving that seem to be concentrated in one or two days which is necessary to DIR courses, but doesn't give the student time to adjust to the "culture shock". My comfortable entry into the world of doubles, BP/W, bungeed regulators (etc.) took six months from the start of my Advanced Nitrox course to the end. The once a month class sessions gave me time to adapt my thinking (and pocketbook, LOL) from the world of pure "recreational" diving to the world of "tech gear".

Believe it or not, this is not intended to be a flame. There are many DIR divers on this board that I listen to and respect. They have a great deal of good information. But, many of the non-DIR types have good information as well. By not being a "DIR diver" I can incorporate the ideas of both.

Back
Top Bottom