The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "Fundamentals" book is Ok; but I like GUE's

The Fundamentals of Technical Diving

better. It's a very good resource for technical diving; it's clearly written, with
excellent information.

It's only available as a PDF file at this point, but that does have the advantages of
inexpensive shipping and instant gratification, a pleasant change to the way things
usually are out here in the middle of the Pacific :wink:

Best -

sharkmasterbc:
I'm very suprised this thread has proceeded without too many people "going off".
Cool, isn't it. It makes for much more interesting reading in my opinion. Thanks everyone. Right said Fred.

I believe there is often more than 1 way to solve a problem and each method has its merits, personal thought, experience AND preference should be a factor on the decision. I also think its vital divers be able to think for themselves underwater to work through a problem in what is often a rapidly changing dynamic situation.

As a side note, yes they have some good ideas (a lot of which "borrowed" from hogarthian configuration and elsewhere) however i dont agree with ALL of the ideas which by their own definition makes me an outcast.

I am amazed so far how many have stood up and I said I am not DIR, compared to the few supporting it (and also by how flameless this thread has been so far, hope springs eternal). On another site there was a “who is DIR” thread and the number who stood up was amazing (especially as many of them are also members here).

PADI et all have training systems in place which certifies divers and does allow some through who are maybe not so proficient as they should be, like all levels of life in other sports / professions the quality of the instructor ultimately decides what the end result is. DIR should be applauded for setting a standard which ups the bar, but being a smallish organization it is much easier to achieve this and maintain standards.

It seems the consensus of non DIR divers is that they take on board a lot of the good ideas but still want the freedom to choose features, equipment configurations etc that best suits there diving. It maybe a good idea if DIR were to smoke a “not so legal cigarette” have a couple of sips of JD and chill out in their mindset, and they would win over a lot more support.

I actually agree with the ideals of DIR, but my financial situation prohibits me from becoming 100% DIR. I have the gear and when I dive with my buddies we are in a mostly unified team, but living paycheck to paycheck, I can't afford the "correct" mix for every dive I make. I also enjoy the serenity of solo diving. So, until I win the Lotto I will be shunned by the zealots and ScubaGods of DIR, and I'll probably continue to enjoy diving in spite of it.

"It maybe a good idea if DIR were to smoke a “not so legal cigarette” have a couple of sips of JD and chill out in their mindset, and they would win over a lot more support."

or non-DIR people could do the same and not be so threatened by a group that agrees to do things a particular way.

You have to agree the DIR "swagger" can be a bit annoying and irritating. Especially coming from the newly DIR-F'ed... I dont need that. Thanks but no thanks...

oh no doubt there are arrogant divers out there, but that's not limited to
DIR guys

i've seen at least one PADI instructor who was the epitome of arrogance and the
guy couldn't stop moving his hands underwater. drove me nuts. above water,
his "let me teach you how this is done" prattle drove me even more nuts, and he was
not even with us for the day.

ok.. but i digress... yes... arrogance and swagger, no matter who sports it, is bad in my book

OneBrightGator:
Brian, I appreciate your post and your POV, but, if I read what you're implying to say, that PADI doesn't not encourage teaching classes they don't offer, you are incorrect. PADI does not allow similar classes through another agency to be taught through a 5-star facility, however if there is no PADI equivalent (i.e. cave diving) then the shop is free to offer whatever classes it likes.

Ben

I know that...my problem is with their definition of "similar".

For instance...there is NO DIR instruction in Vancouver. Closest is Seattle. I know a shop which has had personal experience with really enjoying some of the teaching and has tried to implement some of what's taught in their classes but...they are forbidden to say have a Tech 1 class run throught their shop because it would be a "similar" course. This is what I'm complaining about. On one side the DIR adherents are accused of being narrow minded...on the other side, shops by their affiliation are FORCED to be narrowminded and not be able to offer a range of different courses of a similar bend for fear of losing their status. This is the way it is...and I think it's the sad flip-side of the coin. Can't learn DIR, IANTD or TDI from the shop now (although they used to teach IANTD...since the whole DSAT thing came about...actually...same goes for the First Responder course too)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom