The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you squint between your thumb and forefinger at your friends head across the room, it will appear that you can crush your friend's head between your fingers. But it's only an illusion. 3D depth is hard to capture on 2D film underwater, but it looks to me like he is holding his arms similar to a surface "OK" signal and filling the bag in that circle, It "might" have overlapped his head for a second, but it didn't ever look to be "under" him.

fishnchips:
Forget DIR or NON DIR for a moment. Please place safety first. I hope that this video is a demonstration of what not to do. And whoever see this video, please for your own safety, please don't do what this video is showing.

I could not think of a reason why anyone would want to post such a dangerous maneuver on the web. Try to kill other scuba divers? :dropmouth Anyone with common sense would NEVER inflate the lift bag underneath them. :nonono:

Again, for your own safety, please do not do as the video demonstrated.
I'm hoping that you're just trolling with this comment. The video shows the diver inflating a bag out in front of him, at arm's length. The bag is not underneath the diver.

These hysterical criticisms are pathetic.

WJL:
I'm hoping that you're just trolling with this comment. The video shows the diver inflating a bag out in front of him, at arm's length. The bag is not underneath the diver.

These hysterical criticisms are pathetic.

look again.

he disconnects his drysuit inflator to inflate the bag. Because of the length of the inflator (remember, its coming under his arm) and the fact that he's looking down when he inflates the bag, Id say the opening of the bag is just in front of his face. Also, if you look at his right elbow when inflating the bag it's at 90 degrees, not arms length.

When you look at him inflating the bag, the bag definately get caught underneath his chin/reg. Only when he unbends his arm does the bag start to rise.

I personally think that shooting a bag is one of those times when it's better to be a little more vertical than horizontal. I also think it's better to inflate the bag with your exhaled bubbles rather than a clip-on gadget than can freeflow. It's one more thing to carry and why create a solution to a problem that dosen't exist?

TX101:
When you look at him inflating the bag, the bag definately get caught underneath his chin/reg. Only when he unbends his arm does the bag start to rise.

It does indeed get caught....probably not the best way to go about it.

I personally think that shooting a bag is one of those times when it's better to be a little more vertical than horizontal.

That's the worst possible solution to the problem. Now, not only are you creating an additional source of buoyancy, you are also fins down, thus any kicks will push you upwards. By being horizontal, or slightly head down, you can kick against the additional buoyancy until the bag is released.

I also think it's better to inflate the bag with your exhaled bubbles rather than a clip-on gadget than can freeflow. It's one more thing to carry and why create a solution to a problem that dosen't exist?

How can a drysuit inflator freeflow?!

TX101:
I personally think that shooting a bag is one of those times when it's better to be a little more vertical than horizontal. I also think it's better to inflate the bag with your exhaled bubbles rather than a clip-on gadget than can freeflow. It's one more thing to carry and why create a solution to a problem that dosen't exist?

Soggy addressed your other concerns well, but on the Halcyon lift bag, the connector isn't clip-on. It requires you to hold it on.. as soon as you let go the inflator pops off. It's a pretty cool design.

And the problem does exist. One, purging your regulator at depth in a cold environment can easily case it to freeze and freeflow. Also, rough conditions at the surface can make your Surface Marker Bouy lose its air and sink during a long deco.

Both of these problems are eliminated in Halcyon's valve design, with no drawbacks.

jonnythan:
And the problem does exist. One, purging your regulator at depth in a cold environment can easily case it to freeze and freeflow.

I believe TX is referring to inhaling off the reg, removing the reg, and exhaling into the open bottom of the bag, which is now above you. For open bottom bags in cold water, I *think* GUE recommends this method, though I'm not sure. I'd rather just inflate a CC bag with my drysuit hose....more control over the amount of air that enters the bag.

Also, rough conditions at the surface can make your Surface Marker Bouy lose its air and sink during a long deco.

Very true, though there are some decent baffled designs which help avoid this problem, such as the Oxycheq and Halcyon OC bags.

Soggy:
How can a drysuit inflator freeflow?!

Actually, I've had it happen when inflating a lift bag ... I was using a non-standard style of inflator hose (the one with the shorter nipple on the valve stem), which is the style that came on my Diving Concepts suit.

Now, granted I was able to stop the freeflow by plugging the inflator hose back into my suit ... but that was a leap of faith, because I didn't know whether that would make it stop or simply blow up my suit.

It's the reason I chose a semi-closed SMB (and use my primary second to inflate it) rather than the plug-in style. It also caused me to go out and get a standard style inflator hose and valve stem for my drysuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Actually, I've had it happen when inflating a lift bag ... I was using a non-standard style of inflator hose (the one with the shorter nipple on the valve stem), which is the style that came on my Diving Concepts suit.

Weird. Come to think of it, a buddy of mine had a surface freeflow from his DS hose....it was also non-standard....Viking, I believe. I would hardly call it a freeflow, though...just a little leak. Pulling back on the quick connector fixed the problem, though, as would plugging it back in.

Regardless, the DS hose doesn't remain attached to the CC bag. It is a smooth "connection" and pops right off. This is another example of a piece of a system being criticized without understanding how it works.

Soggy:
Regardless, the DS hose doesn't remain attached to the CC bag. It is a smooth "connection" and pops right off. This is another example of a piece of a system being criticized without understanding how it works.

Yes, I know ... I was using a Halcyon SMB at the time (Laurynn's or Uncle Pug's, I believe). Nice bag ... but I prefer my Oxycheq semi-closed.

FWIW - I've used it in 41 degree water without any free-flow issues.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom