The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishnchips:
Matthew, you are right on this. I truly believe this vedio is someone who dislike DIR, pretend to de DIR and show this video to ridicule DIR standard. Who in the right mind would inflate the lift bag underneath and risking the line entangle with the equipments? IMHO, a pig with 2 brain cells could see that the bag is underneath the diver. This is definitelly not DIR standard. If it is, then the standard of dive safety has hit a new low.

The sad thing is people actually put this kind of video on the net and encourage others to follow. As I pleaded in my earlier post, please put aside any differences between different training agencies, please consider the safety of other divers, tell them the truth-this video is just a prank, and it is a good demo of what NOT TO DO.

I'm still waiting for your video sockpuppet....where is it?

WJL:
I'm hoping that you're just trolling with this comment. The video shows the diver inflating a bag out in front of him, at arm's length. The bag is not underneath the diver.

These hysterical criticisms are pathetic.

No this is not a troll nor criticisms. It is about safety of other divers. Frankly, I don't believe this is a DIR video. DIR has always pride themselves of doing it right and hold high standards on dive safety.

The person that made the video either try to pull a prank on DIR standard, or he is trying to show what not to do. I DO NOT BELIEVE any DIR could perform such a dangerous maneuver. As I said, if this is really a DIR safety standard, then the scuba diving safety standard has hit a record low.

If you are really DIR, then I don't think you could perform such a stupid maneuver either. Won't you agree?

boomx5:
I'm still waiting for your video sockpuppet....where is it?

Whagt is a sockpuppet? It's good that you ask for the video. A desire to learn and improve is always an encouraging and a good attitude, keep it up.

Go to your local dive shop and ask for the "Search and Recovery Pak". Which includes a manuel, video and log inserts. Sign up for a class. It is a fairly simple class, I'm sure you will have no problem learning the skills from the video.

Enjoy the class, good luck!

fishnchips:
No this is not a troll nor criticisms. It is about safety of other divers. Frankly, I don't believe this is a DIR video. DIR has always pride themselves of doing it right and hold high standards on dive safety.

The person that made the video either try to pull a prank on DIR standard, or he is trying to show what not to do. I DO NOT BELIEVE any DIR could perform such a dangerous maneuver. As I said, if this is really a DIR safety standard, then the scuba diving safety standard has hit a record low.

If you are really DIR, then I don't think you could perform such a stupid maneuver either. Won't you agree?

So tell us all your infinite knowledge about DIR since you seem to know so much.

boomx5:
So tell us all your infinite knowledge about DIR since you seem to know so much.
I dont buy his prankster theory, but I think he has a point. I can't see how the same people who make a lot of noise about the dangers of QR's, suicide clips, BWODs, etc. now say its OK to inflate a bag underneath yourself.

boomx5:
I asked for a video of you shooting a bag.

You know what boom, that is just what i am going to do next time out, unfortunately it may not be until early september but rest assured you will be a recipient of it. Becuase you and Juniorthan both seem to think that unless you have taken DIR-F you dont know how to shoot a bag. in fact I might even do it maskless to prove a point.

It is this attitude which really grinds on me, here is a supposed DIR example of shooting a bag which displays some poor skills yet you both support it. You would not even admit to start with that it was under him when it clearly hits his chest. i dont think FishNChips reaally needs to demonstrate his knowledge of DIR to you, just that he knows how to SAFELY shoot a bag (aside from the fact he is just passing comment and not pretending to be an elite training agency), DIR has nothing really to do with it, the vid sucks

The person in that video is clearly in control and a competant diver, however a less experienced diver could easily foul it up trying to do the same manoeuvre. If you bothered to read my earleir post, i mentioned the importance of having the bag in control and above you. With the bag below there is risk either the bag strap or the Spool line will become entangled in your harness, lights whatever and launch you as well. If you truly cannot see the folly in this then i suggest YOU go back to your GUE instructor and talk to him about it.

boomx5:
Boomx,

I appreciate the opportunity to share some info with you. As for sharing the DIR info, I believe the pleasure is yours.

As for the video, I am flattered you specifically asked for my video. The particlar skill in question is a simple one. The video has very good demonstration. Just follow the instruction from the video and the class, I'm sure you will do fine without my video.

If you really have problem in the class, let me know, I'll help you out.

Have fun. :colgate:

RichLockyer:
The hose fitting does not lock onto the bag like it does on a suit or inflator.
I know it doesnt have the clip feature and i have tried it in shops to see how it functions but i personally think it is unnecesary feature which i dont need and could jam (my opinion so I will not buy one). Therefore i think the semi closed offers much better features and can be filled from the exhaust bubbles of your second stage without taking it out of your mouth.

Options
1) fully closed - disconnect inflator and plug (ok hold) onto bag -- cumbersome and means bag must be close to you and in chest area
2) semi closed - Take out primary and switch to back up second stage and purge primary under bag - again messy
3) Semi closed - took a while to get it right but best method, Breathe out with bag above you ( i make sure that the bag strap and line are clear of me at this point)

RichLockyer:
LOL! That video was only one PWC away from America's Funniest Home Videos. It was a perfect example of someone doing it wrong when they thought they were doing it right.

Could you talk nicely to BoomX and Juniorton and explain whats wrong, they dont get it!!!!

Last I stand corrected over GI3 (also apologies to Soggy), but he is still too close to it all for my liking, and so will stick with my biased opinion, it is my opinion after all, maybe i'm just envious :eyebrow:

Soggy:
Experience is important, but it sure as heck ain't everything. Careful thought, training, and instruction will allow anyone with a fairly strong intellect to skip the trial and error of hundreds of dives.
My eyes almost popped out of my head when I read this one. I hope you don't really mean to imply that an intellectual can become an expert diver after taking classes, reading about it and thinking hard about it? Without doing it?

I don't care how much you study or train for anything, when the chips are down, nothing is a substitue for experience.

Please tell us you were typing that post into your waterproof laptop at an END of, oh, say 200fsw...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom