The Other State of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*dave*

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Along with the vid I made to highlight common bad diving practices, I also plan on using this vid to demonstrate the level of skill students should posses after certification. This vid will be followed up with 5thD type demos.

Most of the clips were shot during the nav dive for OW certification. All but two of the divers in the vids are either very new or not quite certified.

I'd dive with them.

Last edited:
Gjdm

:d

Dave, what strikes me hardest about watching the video is the ability of your students to STOP. I remember being a new diver . . . I swam over so many interesting things, and I couldn't stop to look at them. All I could do was swim circles, and when I got back to where I'd been, you couldn't see anything there.

Bless you for giving your students the ability to stop. We dive to see things; you see so little if you have to keep swimming all the time.

There was a comment made some time back that the first step to being in good trim is to think "in trim". Unless a new divers has been exposed to what good trim & technique look like as well as the opposite so they can compare and contrast they can be heading down a long road with an uncertain endpoint. Providing these video demonstrations early on can get them visualizing and working in the right direction. I think it will be an asset.

What I also like is that it's done in a less than pristine setting as opposed to the typical slick clear water training videos.

Pete

That certainly looks a lot different than the other video. It looks like those divers are getting more out of the experience, for one I am sure they use less air, for another quiet divers gave that grouper confidence to swim right through the lot of them.

I am sure someone will find something negative to say about it though...

I am sure someone will find something negative to say about it though...

Looks like some shop had a sale on split fins....how can you show students that? :no:

Just kidding. It really is an excellent example of what a diver CAN be coming out of their certification if given the time and information/training. I have to say that I was quite humbled when watching that video because I was nothing like that when I got certified. I would say I was squarely between the two videos but these divers are actually Scuba Divers and not just someone who is certified to dive.

Good on ya for giving them that. I know they will enjoy their diving career much more having been given the tools to enjoy it.

Awwwwwww...
I'd dive with them too...
I would also dive with the others in the other video by working with them to fine tune their skills and teach them great diving habits such as how to trim their gear, reef conservation, etc.
:yinyang:

I think there is something incredibly sad about the fact that the first thread, with bad divers, ran pages and pages -- yet so few of us can find anything to say about people who are well trained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom