THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If that is the same camera and light setup that you have posted in multiple other threads on here then there is no way that it is a "couple of kilos" in the water.

Tell you what I will weight it and see. In the water it feels light as the tray glides with the flat bottom more like a nice wing gliding thru the water.

ditchable weights are not the only way to lower the centre of gravity, although this is one of their advantages.

Out of curiosity, do you do tech? If yes, do you use the same weight configuration for tech and rec? (obviously the amount of weights will change depending on tanks, suit, etc. - with configuration I mean how you store your weights; e.g. do you always use a belt? or pockets? or a combination of them?)

EDIT: just to be clear and to avoid useless flame, although I usually do not use ditchable weights, I am not against them :)
i use the same position of pocket weights on ccr as sidemount but less weight on ccr -with sidemount i have a small amount of weight on my back pockets for rec i use a jacket bcd also with detachable weights

Well that's why there is a dump valve near your arse. Why would I try to dump air from a shoulder when my shoulder is lower than my arse?
You probably would not, but I have seen this error plenty of times. If you dived at popular european holiday resorts like I do you would see lots of poor diving. Mention that their trim is not right and some would head for the barbers.

You probably would not, but I have seen this error plenty of times. If you dived at popular european holiday resorts like I do you would see lots of poor diving. Mention that their trim is not right and some would head for the barbers.

Yes I have seen it as well. I was on a dive and a newly certified diver was trying to use her inflator hose to dump air when she was head down. I reached for her right hand and moved it to where she could feel the dump valve line and gave it a pull. Back on the boat she said she never realized there was a dump valve there as her instructor never showed her and thanked me for showing her.

I said one of the things about doing buddy checks is not only knowing your own gear but that of your buddy. She was trying to stay in that horizontal trim while fighting a little bit of positive buoyancy. She also asked me why I do not use the inflator hose at beginning of dive as she was taught to release air. I replied that my left hand falls conveniently to my right shoulder dump valve and release air that way and just slide under the water. She does that now as well. Sometimes students are really not taught to use all of the things available to them. I also told her that when using rental gear to check where the purge valves are.

I think attitude still means orientation. The attitude of the aircraft, etc. Plus it also means your outlook toward the world.

Mass distribution, but that is two words.

Submarine analogies are hated, as subs are rigid and we are not, but subs use trim tanks to shift mass to get the mass volume relation they want to make the orientation they want easy.

But scuba uses trim to mean both orientation and what we do to fix orientation (which is often changes to mass balance). So scuba's single term is confusing.
The Dacor Nautilus Constant Volume System (CVS) is an example of a BCD which mimmics a submarine. It is a rigid chamber, with its own regulator and ORV (Overpressure relief valve).

John

That’s why I recommend/share the exercises I got from @Peter Guy. Just start with a snorkel, and then a mask. I then go into skin diving and then scuba. Break it up and build momentum/confidence.
That's how I started, after swim team and lifeguard training.

SeaRat

That’s why I recommend/share the exercises I got from @Peter Guy. Just start with a snorkel, and then a mask. I then go into skin diving and then scuba. Break it up and build momentum/confidence.

And also, how to clear your snorkel on the way up from a free dive and not have to blast it clear, it was a requirement to pass free diving.
Hard to sneak up on anyone if you are 'a blaster', [ I was not taught by a Civilian ].

And also, how to clear your snorkel on the way up from a free dive and not have to blast it clear, it was a requirement to pass free diving.
Hard to sneak up on anyone if you are 'a blaster', [ I was not taught by a Civilian ].

Do tell!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom