The perfect DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ferris213

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have looked for a while but have not been able to find exactly what I want, so hopefully someone here can help.

Is there a DSMB on the market that is about 4.5' long, approx 5" wide, is a closed circuit with a OPV and has a good quality oral inflate mechanism?

I like the 3' Halcyon but it doesn't seem long enough, while their 4.5' is about 7 or 8 inches wide.

If I am surfacing away from the boat I will launch the SMB, usually from about 5 or 10 meters depth. My current one is about 6 foot and only ever seems to be half full when I get to it on the surface (possibly due to air burping out of the duckbill bottom)... I would rather carry a slightly smaller SMB that can be fully inflated with one breath, than a large one that is only half filled.

My diving is typically boat diving in fairly calm conditions. If the seas are so big a 4.5' won't be seen it's unlikely I'll be in the water to begin with. Most people around here (that I have encountered) don't bother at all launching a SMB from depth, but if I know I'm not going to get back to the anchor I like to send one up so the captain knows where I am. I also always carry a mirror and dive light.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Fair conditions
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=85

Bad conditions or SHTF
Halcyon Surface Marker Buoy
Super Big Diver's Alert Marker, 6' (1.8 m) long, closed circuit

Probably doesn't help you but thought I would share.

Thanks for that, I have looked at the DSS one but it seems even smaller than the Halcyon. Although having more of the buoyancy at the bottom makes sense. How does it go being seen from the boat? Have you had any feedback from your surface support? Also, is it easy to fill with one breath?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

The HOG 4.5 fits those parameters and I have one in stock. Let me double check the diameter later today when I get home and will get in touch. I ship USPS to australia and this would fit in a small flat rate box so not crazy on shipping cost.

Since you're specifically asking about a DSMB, I'd recommend keeping the size to 3'. If surface conditions (large swells) are such that visibility is an issue, I'll stow a tall SMB in a pocket and leave the 3' DSMB pre-rigged for deployment. From 15', the 3' DSMB takes a bit less than a breath for it to be fully inflated on the surface. The Halcyyon and DSS are both good.

The HOG 4.5 fits those parameters and I have one in stock. Let me double check the diameter later today when I get home and will get in touch. I ship USPS to australia and this would fit in a small flat rate box so not crazy on shipping cost.
Thanks Jim, that sounds good. I look forward to hearing how wide it is. Can you also let me know if it has a stainless ring at the bottom? or is it just secured with a plastic buckle and strap?

Thanks again.

Thanks for that, I have looked at the DSS one but it seems even smaller than the Halcyon. Although having more of the buoyancy at the bottom makes sense. How does it go being seen from the boat? Have you had any feedback from your surface support? Also, is it easy to fill with one breath?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Easy to fill with one breath.. almost to easy.

Have not had any feedback from the boat as I have not had to deploy with the boats I have gone out with so far.

I did some beach tests and for me its looks pretty sharp. I think what got me to purchase this other then some excellent reviews was its simplicity and small size in my pocket.

When I get to the beach soon or the boat dive I have in a week I will have someone grab some shots of it out in the drink. Now lets just hope the seas allow me to dive :wink:

All my Recreational Wreck as well as my Tec divers go with the Halcyon SMB Part#14.030.050 . Six feet tall, well designed and you can oral inflate or use a LP hose connection. The Patented No-Lock® connector is not made of plastic like most are and you do not need to push in on your teeth to inflate as well. Personally I think that the only thing the small 3.3' ones are good for is practicing deployment, if 3.3' is all you have.....then something is better then nothing. As far as deployment goes, you should really be doing it from depth (better control) and not wait til 15ft to put it up.

Thanks Jim, that sounds good. I look forward to hearing how wide it is. Can you also let me know if it has a stainless ring at the bottom? or is it just secured with a plastic buckle and strap?

Thanks again.

7 inches wide flat. No ss ring on this one. Plastic snap like my DAN tube. Or like my DAN tube used to be until I cut the snap off and resewed it with a SS bolt snap. Could do the same with this. I have the bolt snaps as well.

Back
Top Bottom