The perfect mask for a woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermom

Registered
Reaction score
I am a new diver. Just got my first certification for 60ft. I have several questions, but the most pressing is my mask. The first mask I bought continually fills with water. It's way too big. The second mask I borrowed, fits good, but I have no peripheral or downward vision. Due to a previous neck injury, I have very little mobility with my neck. What is a small mask with extra lenses that will fit a small face. I don't have any purge preference.

Try to find either

Omer Abyss
Cressi Sub Super Ochio
Sporosub Samurai

They are all basically the same mask. I know that corrective lenses are available for the Super Ochio.

Ralph

Mermom--is that Ethyl Mermom?

Barbara, the light of my life, has difficulty fitting masks and it sound like you might have a face shape similar to hers. She has used the Cressi Big Eyes--it worked fine. She has also used a Parkway 4SITE and it worked fine.

One thing that we do is to clean our masks regularly with Soft Scrub--using the theory that a smooth surface on the apron will "adhere" better than one with detritus on it.

If you are really desperate, you can ask to try kids's masks, but they probably won't have the vis you are seeking.

Finally, in my experience, selecting a mask and making sure it will not leak whilst in the dive shop is very difficult for some people (including me). Sooooooooooooo, if you can, go in the dive shop pool and try it out. Also, remember that you will be sporting a mouth piece when you dive. Sooooooooooooo, put a snorkel in your mouth (or a reg if available) to simulate dive conditions.

Aren't you jealous of those folks who can walk into a dive shop, grab something off the wall and have no trouble? I am!

Your humble u/w fashion consultant,

Joewr

Ethyl,

You did not mention whether you were far-sighted, near-sighted, astimatic, or Republican. So I am not sure what kind of vision impairment you have. If it is simple, there are these neat little lenses that most dive shops sell that stick on the inside surface of the mask lens. They cost about $20.00 and are a lot cheaper than a ground lens.

Your dive shop can also help you if you need to have prescrition lenses put in your mask.

Your humble u/w opthamologist,

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom