The Philosophy of Diver Training

Initial Diver Training

• Divers should be trained to be dependent on a DM/Instructor

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Divers should be trained to dive independently.

Votes: 79 96.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for PADI instructors speaking for themselves,thgt is not likely because they have all left the thread in disgust.

Perhaps you can answer a few questions based upon your understanding of PADI standards:

1. What can a PADI instructor modify in the PADI OW program? As an example, can a PADI instructor increase the in-water requirements for certification if local water condition dictate this for safety? What do you "modify?"

2. What can a PADI instructor add to the PADI OW program? As an example, can a PADI instructor require a student to complete an in-water recovery of a submerged victim as a requirement for certification? How about other skills not specifically included in the PADI standards? What do you "add?"

3. As a PADI instructor teaching an OW program, it is my understanding that you are prohibited from teaching buddy breathing. If this is correct, are you aware why it was prohibited?

4. What other skills are prohibited (bail-out, station breathing, black-out, ???)

4. Can you change the sequence of skills on a PADI OW program and conform to PADI standards? There seems to be some concern in the I2I area, Why is this?

5. If a PADI instructor modifies/adds to the program/changes the learning sequence under what conditions would s/he be breaching standards? If so, would he be covered by liability insurance (some require you to teach to standards as a condition of coverage)?

Last edited:
DCBC:
1. What can a PADI instructor modify in the PADI OW program? As an example, can a PADI instructor increase the in-water requirements for certification if local water condition dictate this for safety?

They cannot change the requirements.

DCBC:
2. What can a PADI instructor add to the PADI OW program? As an example, can a PADI instructor require a student to complete an in-water recovery of a submerged victim as a requirement for certification? How about other skills not specifically included in the PADI standards?

Yes, they can add to the program, but they cannot make those additions requirements.

DCBC:
3. As a PADI instructor teaching an OW program, it is my understanding that you are prohibited from teaching buddy breathing. If this is correct, are you aware why it was prohibited?

I've heard this rumor and am interested in hearing the answer. I doubt they'll ever tell the reasons for any changes.

DCBC:
4. Can you change the sequence of skills on a PADI OW program and conform to PADI standards? There seems to be some concern in the I2I area, Why is this?

PADI requires specific skills to be taught in specific sessions. A skill from session 3 cannot be taught in session 1 or 2. That would be a violation of standards. Within a particular session, they have a recommended order in which they suggest skills be taught. Within any session, skills can be taught in any order the instructor desires. PADI's recommended order can be followed or ignored with no violation of standards.

I may be mistaken, but it was my impression that Wayne has indicated that there is course content/skills which: (1) he cannot teach (i.e., is forbidden to teach) as a PADI instructor as it is deemed to be too difficult or too dangerous; (2) said content is thought by him to be crucial to safe diving in his locale and other places in the world; (3) said content is currently taught by other agencies (at the basic OW level) who do not deem it to be too difficult or too dangerous; and (4) since said skills are thought by him to be crucial to safe diving in his locale and other places in the world he feels that he should not/can not pass students who aren't proficient in these skills, therefore his conscience forces him to test students in these skills and withhold their certifications if the skills are not reasonably mastered - an approach which seems to not be endorsed by PADI.

Yet seems to be endorsed by every other major training agency in the world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom