The "Proper" way to store a Shearwater Teric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With COVID-19, my wife and I have been unable to get our normal 4 dive trips a year in and we have sparkling new terics that I bought early last year (hoping for the best for our Bonaire trip at the time.). I noticed that that teric never turns off and only goes into a standby mode with a relatively high (considering the numbers of months a dive computer can potentially go unused) amount of battery drain. Given that most of these batteries have a preferred charge range for storage, is our only option to basically charge it back up once it drains down to a certain point?--Somehow trying to minimize charge cycles while keeping the battery in its sweet spot? It's really easy to forget something like this and letting most battery-operated devices go to zero charge (or until they shut-off on their own) is generally viewed as poor for battery longevity.

With COVID-19, my wife and I have been unable to get our normal 4 dive trips a year in and we have sparkling new terics that I bought early last year (hoping for the best for our Bonaire trip at the time.). I noticed that that teric never turns off and only goes into a standby mode with a relatively high (considering the numbers of months a dive computer can potentially go unused) amount of battery drain. Given that most of these batteries have a preferred charge range for storage, is our only option to basically charge it back up once it drains down to a certain point?--Somehow trying to minimize charge cycles while keeping the battery in its sweet spot? It's really easy to forget something like this and letting most battery-operated devices go to zero charge (or until they shut-off on their own) is generally viewed as poor for battery longevity.
Can you put numbers on what your Terics are doing? How much does their charge drop in (say) 10, 30, and 60d with no use?

Turn off the compass feature then fully charge the Teric and store it in a cool location as close to 60 deg as you can get. Just don't let it go under 40F or above 80F.
The batteries will need recharging every 6 months. (See page 82 of the manual)
If you let it go to much longer than 6 months the unit will go completely dead and loose all the settings and log info, plus possible damage the battery. Always backup your logs just in case.
I plan on just setting two reminders in my phone. One for the 5 month point and another at the 6 month point.

Only if you promise to maintain exactly 80% charge and 60degF at all times while diving.

No problems with the 80% requirement. The water here is 50F. Still well within specs!

I don’t know how it’s supposed to be done and so far my Teric’s have never had to go so long between dives. I charge them to 100% only using the supplied charger, take them off as soon as you notice they hit 100%, turn it off using the light button (I run them on high and one push from high is off, they come back on set high) I just leave them off until I want to check the charge and turn off again, my compass is always on as is the wireless, no undue power drain when off.

in your situation I (I would start cold water diving locally) would just check and recharge when they hir 20% which is also when I recharge my more active Teric’s. I get many hours of dive time between charging and so far not keeping them at 100% has worked fine, also I stopped using flat chargers as a precaution.

Turn off the compass feature then fully charge the Teric and store it in a cool location as close to 60 deg as you can get. Just don't let it go under 40F or above 80F.
The batteries will need recharging every 6 months. (See page 82 of the manual)
If you let it go to much longer than 6 months the unit will go completely dead and loose all the settings and log info, plus possible damage the battery. Always backup your logs just in case.
I plan on just setting two reminders in my phone. One for the 5 month point and another at the 6 month point.
That's kind of what I have been doing. I charge to 100%, turn it off and then keep it in a drawer. Once a month I turn it on and see how much battery is left. Once it has been 6 months or so I top it back up to 100% and then repeat.

Sounds like you've got answers. I do more or less the same as what others have mentioned here, and it works fine. I was storing it out in my shed for awhile, but when nighttime temps started dropping below 40F, I am now storing it in my house.

If I lived in Issaquah, I'd rent or buy a drysuit and get some diving done in the Sound. I have yet to do so myself, but it's supposed to be beautiful this time of year :)

Best of luck, I hope you and your wife get out to Bonaire soon. With any luck, most of us might be able to do so by the end of the year.

If you live in the Puget Sound region you are really missing out by not diving locally. We have some of the best diving in the world here with many fantastic shore and boat diving opportunities available with in an hours drive.

Examples from the last month:

Des Moines - Redondo Pier
Redondo Pier January 14, 2021 (70 of 104).jpg

Hood Canal - Sund Rock
IMG_20201230_203939_151.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom