The Pure Pleasure Of Diving Alone. [Poll]

Do you prefer solo diving over diving with one or many others ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I never dive solo.

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • I have dived solo, but didn't enjoy it.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I prefer to dive with one or many others, but I do dive solo.

Votes: 49 27.7%
  • I prefer to dive solo , but I do dive with one or many others.

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • I always or nearly always dive solo.

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There are numerous discussions on the relative safety or non-safety about diving alone (solo diving), with many polarized positions on either side of the debate, here on ScubaBoard and elsewhere.

One factor that I believe may be an important component of the discussion is the pure enjoyment of being alone underwater, surrounded by fish, and hovering silently above the plants and subaquatic soil. This is similar to the enjoyment that many people find while taking solitaire walks in the woods.

Even if someone dives solo in the most secure of environments (very shallow depth, no currents, excellent visibility, warm water, etc.), and a back-up solution to the failure of any kind of equipment, there will always be the small but ever-present risk that an unpredictable and unexpected health issue might jeopardize the dive, leading to an incident, an accident, or even worse.

Taking into account this reality which will make solo diving always less safe then group or buddy diving, to what extent do you prefer solo diving over diving with one or many others ? And why ?

Why do you find solo diving more enjoyable, more pleasurable, then diving with other people ?
Or vice-versa ?

Please don't hesitate to comment on your choice of vote.

According to the DAN statistics, the most common cause of death while diving is the sudden onset of disease (the second independent cause of death is running out of air). If you have a sudden onset of a health condition, and you are alone, this makes your predicament much more problematic then if you are with someone else.

Edit: modified the wording to remove any ambiguity.

Most of my time, away from work, is alone. Same with my diving, nearly all solo.

Not that I won't dive with others, there just aren't many people locally that dive year round.

But I do love solo dives.

Lobo

According to the DAN statistics, most diving deaths come from sudden onset of disease, followed closely by running out of air. If you have a sudden onset of a health condition, and you are alone, this makes your predicament much more problematic.

Why would I suddenly acquire a disease then miraculously run out of air? We all dive alone and we all die alone.........................no matter how many people are around.

to what extent do you prefer solo diving over diving with one or many others ? And why ?
I almost always dive solo.

I started out with my son and spent my dives making sure both of us came back. He has moved on to another part of the country and I quit diving for a while. Sorely missed it so started diving solo and couldn't believe how honest it was. Nobody to fool but myself. Is this safe enough? Only one person to worry about.

The other reason that I dive solo is that I feel compelled to not bore my dive partner. I tend to focus on small or unusual stuff, spent one entire dive on the Algol just watching a purple jellyfish.

Third reason is that the boats (here in the NorthEast US) are all fine with solo diving.

Buddy diving may be safer but I find it a chore to watch someone else enjoy their dive their own way.

I dive on my own now and then for a variety of reasons. I much prefer to dive with my regular buddy who is also my wife. We can share the highlights of the dive on the drive home and if it is good enough for many years afterwards. I think I can identify with the pleasure of solitude as discussed, yes there are times when it is nice - away from any other stimulus. However, it wouldn't convince me to dive solo all the time. The safety aspects of buddy diving are much too complex to say whether or not solo is good or bad in some sweeping statement.

Most of my dives are with a buddy or two, although we are rarely within sight of each other. Sometimes we don't see each other until we're making our safety stops, so technically all of my diving is solo. If one of us finds something interesting we will often look for each other to show them our find.

When I make dives that are beyond the training and comfort zone of my buddies I am in the water alone. In the back of my mind I sometimes think about the "what ifs" but if I had a buddy with me I'd probably not enjoy the dive due to my concern for their safety.

I enjoy diving more when I am not responsible for anyone else other than myself. My wife and I dive together most of the time...but she will tell you the same thing.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom