The Pure Pleasure Of Diving Alone. [Poll]

Do you prefer solo diving over diving with one or many others ?

• n/a

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I never dive solo.

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • I have dived solo, but didn't enjoy it.

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • I prefer to dive with one or many others, but I do dive solo.

Votes: 49 27.7%
  • I prefer to dive solo , but I do dive with one or many others.

Votes: 70 39.5%
  • I always or nearly always dive solo.

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 12 6.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...//... I'm in my late 50's, and I just feel better having a buddy with me.

...//... I also don't mind diving with inexperienced people.
There is a bit here that I find hard to tease out. Some people just like diving with others around. I get that.

Others have some 'win the lottery' sense that if things go bad then it would be their luck that their 'buddy of the day' is on top of it.

All plausible, but I find that this sort of thinking is just plumber's putty for convincing yourself that you don't need to attend to THAT level of detail because I HAVE A BUDDY.

I consider the vast majority of dives I do to be more dangerous that solo dives, due to the fact that I’ll be teaching absolutely newbies how to dive, so if I have any problems, good luck getting any help from them (at least until after they’re certified of course).

It’s not uncommon I’ll have a few hours with nothing to do, where I tend to grab a tank and just enjoy the serenity of floating around with the fish for an hour or so, something I don’t get to enjoy too much nowadays unfortunately. I don’t have a problem going on a fun dive with others, but I normally go out quite short notice.

All plausible, but I find that this sort of thinking is just plumber's putty for convincing yourself that you don't need to attend to THAT level of detail because I HAVE A BUDDY.

I've yet to meet anyone that thinks having a buddy means not sorting out your own issues properly. A buddy can do all sorts of things you cannot do alone, for example tell you there are bubbles coming from your equipment that you cannot see as they are behind your field of vision. They can help you with entanglement and entrapment issues. All sorts of things. If you have a medical issue they can bring you back up to the surface.

All these sorts of reasons are why we are taught to take a buddy and to keep ourselves in top condition in case our buddy needs us. Your responsibility to your buddy is arguably more than yourself. You can choose if you want to endanger yourself but you should not endanger the buddy. So you need to attend to the fullest level of detail.

I dive on my own when I need to. I think any good diver should be able to do that. There is plenty of information to help overcome the shortfalls of diving alone and a redundant gas source is not hard to find or to learn to operate. Perhaps the industry drums in the need for a buddy too hard with new divers. I don't know - it's a long time since I learned to dive. I've never seen being on your own as a big deal and I don't see having a friendly helpful hand as a reason - or an excuse - to do anything other than do everything in my power to be safe in the water.

I also fret about buddies... being responsible for someone else is definitely “task loading” I think! Most of my buddy dives were with my ex boyfriend. Once we experienced buddy separation on a deep, cold, high current offshore dive and both of us surfaced panicked about the other, not at all worried about ourselves. Funny that buddies are not considered like other high task loads: as enhanced risks.

i enjoy diving alone because my goal is to do what i want, when i want and how i want and when your alone no justification for any of the aforementioned is required

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom