The realities of adult diapers with dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving a dry suit I tried to tough it out. I made sure I went to the bathroom right before putting on the suit, etc... Well that did not work so well, after needing to cut a few dives short so I could get back on the boat I decided I would try a diaper.

I did not actually use a full size diaper, rather I chose to use a pad specifically designed for incontinent men. This pad sticks to the inside of your conventional underwear, much like a womens menstrual pad. This pad however is designed for men who lack bladder control.

The pad worked well, and when used it turns the liquid to a gel. There were no leakage problems so long as I properly positioned the pad prior to the dive. The only compromises I needed to make were related to the pads ability to absorb the liquid. If I eliminated too quickly I could surpass the pads ability to absorb the urine, the solution was to try to pee slowly. This is usually only a problem if you have been trying to "hold it", just pee early, don't wait until you need to go like a racehorse. The other problem with the pads was that they were usually only good for one or perhaps two uses.

The advantages of the pads is their relatively low cost, and availability. Since the pad design converts the liquid urine to a gel there are no real issues with mess.

I have since switched to a pee valve and like that solution even better, on long dives I can eliminate several times without worry, and have. If you go this route take time to properly size the condom catheter. Get several sizes and wear each of them for several hours while at home. Same thing with the incontinence pad, get some and wear them for a day, and make sure that the first time you use it is not during a dive. For me, the first time I used a pad I was actually in the bathroom at home so if it leaked there would not be a mess. Later I experimented by trying it wearing all of my dry suit undies while still at home.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Don't think I could bring myself to pee in a diaper tho.
Heh. There was a thread in the women's forum a while back where people were saying they put on the depends and sat in their bathtubs and tried to pee in the depends to practice, but they had a hard time trying to "execute".

One other thing to consider, is that you will definitely suck through your tank much faster in a dry suit. This is because:
1. You will assumably be inflating your suit with air and not argon.
2. With the dry suit and underwear insulation, you will need more weight to keep you down (ex. instead of 12 I needed 20).
3. You will probably be less streamlined in a dry suit, and thus use more exertion to move around and swim.

I know I'm a newbie, but I do know that if you can do 2.5 hours with that tank in a wetsuit at a particular depth, there is no way you are going to be getting 2.5 hours our of it in a dry suit. I'm so new overall as well as in drysuits that I don't think I am a good punter on this issue, but my guess based of my limited experience is that I thought it cut my time in half (i.e. doubled my air consumption rate). I'm sure if you were really experienced with a dry suit, you probably could get much closer to your time in a wetsuit.

I worried about the diaper issue myself, and then completely forgot to bring them for my open water dry suit dives. Thankfully, it turned out I didn't need them.

I'm curios how the guy that did the 1010 fsw open circuit dive took care of....well...business.

Seriously though, both bodily functions could become a problem on long deco dives.

Thinking about that, what do you do for fresh water to drink on long dives???

I did not actually use a full size diaper, rather I chose to use a pad specifically designed for incontinent men. This pad sticks to the inside of your conventional underwear, much like a womens menstrual pad. This pad however is designed for men who lack bladder control.

Mark Vlahos

Might we call this a Man-Pon?

Seriously though if using a condom cath., make sure it is the correct size,make sure once the cath. is in place to firmly grasp the shaft of your penis to allow the warmth of your hand to help the adhesion of the condom cath. also if you have a problem with them staying on you can use a skin prep pad like an alcohol prep pad in size but, creates a tacky film to help the cath. stick, you can get these prep pads at any medical supply/home health store.

Okay that being said let the jokes flow.........

Thinking about that, what do you do for fresh water to drink on long dives???

That's the nice thing about freshwater. Take your reg out & drink up.

Just make sure you haven't just used your pee valve:D

I have seen people with juice box/bags underwater.

Nothing perverted about bodily functions. Half the men I spoke with about valve vs. no valve stated that the pee-valve either leaked or the condom came unattached or fell off and none of these sounded like much fun.

Yah, mine worked fine to start but now comes unattached almost every dive :(
maybe I just have a small d!ick

Yah, mine worked fine to start but now comes unattached almost every dive :(
maybe I just have a small d!ick

Most people don't re-use them! The glue doesn't work as well the second time, or the third...:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom