The Relationship between Man and Nature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It opens at 9 am and there’s some viz until the soakers stir it up. Also if you are interested I want to let you know it’s at your own risk if you dive down. The lifeguards are just standard lifeguards you can’t count on them to rescue a freediver. I have not taken the fii level 1 class yet, and am not trained to rescue you, though there are some things I do know we can discuss.
and because of this:
LIMITING FREEDIVES TO 60 SECONDS FOR SAFETY
I limit my dives to under a minute, and also very shallow.
If you are with me I’d prefer you practice limits like these too.
So it’s really a very conservative thing, and a very relaxing time.

Last edited:
That’s fine I can’t go much more than 2 minutes anyway

So I don’t mind doing 1 minute dives at all.

Beautiful video, and much to think about in the narration -- although much of it is lessons I have already learned. I liked the SharkCam effect.

And also: if there was a wetsuit in that style for men, I would so wear it!

Found this video I am a big fan of Ocean Ramsey. If you have a 4K TV do yourself a favor and watch the video there, the clarity is amazing.

My favorite part of the video though is the narration.

Nice video and introspective narration "muse". . .

However, I find the following to be more rational, objective and definitive explanation, and a cautionary aphorism specifically for the psychology of "human nature in adventure":

. . .To step from a daily life that is carefully bounded by laws and safety locks and guardrails into a predicament where your life hinges on your own ability to assess a dangerous situation can be both disconcerting and exhilarating. . . there is a profound desire for this kind of self-reliance among many people who live in an era when, in the Western world anyway, there is very little opportunity for it. In a difficult or risky situation in the wilderness, the total reliance on oneself . . .and the need for total focus -whether climbing a rock face, skiing a steep chute, or paddling a whitewater canyon- brings a crystalline awareness of the world around . . . One hears it again and again: that at moments like this the participant feels acutely alive.

There are risks of course -risks of all sizes- and sometimes the participant pays the ultimate price for them. . . there are no sure answers, no solid black lines to demarcate caution from boldness, and boldness from foolishness, or rather that those lines constantly shift depending on circumstance and the individual . . .It is here where you must utterly rely on your own judgment:

So why go in the first place?

. . .Ultimately, each person who ventures out must make his or her own decisions about how far to go and what point to turn back. There's an old saying among prospectors who comb the hills for gold here in the American West: "Gold is where you find it". You can say the same about adventure. For that matter, you can say it about risk, about death, and about being acutely alive. . .

(Abridged, from the Introduction in the book, Last Breath: Cautionary Tales From The Limits of Human Endurance by Peter Stark)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom