The right lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xizang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is the place to ask this.. anyway wanted to ask what if 30lbs lift is just right for me. Im 5'8 in height, 150lbs weight, dive using singles in a 3 mill wetsuit in tropical waters. I am thinking of getting the halcyon 27lb wing instead of the 30.

That will be just fine.

It should be fine, just do not dive overweighted (which you should not do anyways).

Axua:
Im not sure if this is the place to ask this.. anyway wanted to ask what if 30lbs lift is just right for me. Im 5'8 in height, 150lbs weight, dive using singles in a 3 mill wetsuit in tropical waters. I am thinking of getting the halcyon 27lb wing instead of the 30.

When you get the wing of your choice. Do take the time to weight yourself with 500lbs at 15 feet and you will be very happy with your rig. It really doesn't mater a pound or to in lift until you start talking about 10# or more. Something to think about,I know some people that using an Oxycheq 18# wing for what you are doing.Not to much drag there? Just a thought.

scottmc:
When you get the wing of your choice. Do take the time to weight yourself with 500lbs at 15 feet and you will be very happy with your rig. It really doesn't mater a pound or to in lift until you start talking about 10# or more. Something to think about,I know some people that using an Oxycheq 18# wing for what you are doing.Not to much drag there? Just a thought.

I also think 18 will be fine for me. I can sink with just 4 lbs weight on a 3 mill full wetsuit. However the smallest wing available here in the Philippines is the 27 of halcyon. I did get the 30 already and so far happy with it. as to drag, well I came from an IST jacket style BC with big side pockets, so I must say that the 30 with the backplate and harness is way way way streamlined than that one.

thanks for your response guys. Maybe I will try to order an 18 for my girlfriend who stands 5'5 and weighs 122 lbs.

Axua:
I also think 18 will be fine for me. I can sink with just 4 lbs weight on a 3 mill full wetsuit. However the smallest wing available here in the Philippines is the 27 of halcyon. I did get the 30 already and so far happy with it. as to drag, well I came from an IST jacket style BC with big side pockets, so I must say that the 30 with the backplate and harness is way way way streamlined than that one.

thanks for your response guys. Maybe I will try to order an 18 for my girlfriend who stands 5'5 and weighs 122 lbs.

The Halcyon 18 lb has the same profile as the 27 lb, in terms of width. Ony difference is that the 18 lb is horseshoe shaped, and doesn't have that connecting bit below the tanks, that gives the 27 lb it's donut shape.

So in terms of drag, I would say there is minimal difference as the additional 9 lb lift is below the tank base.

scottmc:

Wow! I don't know about you. But I know I dont have to take the time to actually determine what my buoyancy would be with 500 pounds of weight at a depth of 15 feet. I am thinking I would probably be negitive.

OWSI176288:
Wow! I don't know about you. But I know I dont have to take the time to actually determine what my buoyancy would be with 500 pounds of weight at a depth of 15 feet. I am thinking I would probably be negitive.
LOLO! I think he meant 500 pounds (per spaure inch) or 500 psi of air in the tank....

Jason

Jason B:
LOLO! I think he meant 500 pounds (per spaure inch) or 500 psi of air in the tank....

Jason

Yeah......I figured he meant 500 psi tank pressure. But it's slow for a Monday and I was bored , so I couldn't help it

filtered:
The Halcyon 18 lb has the same profile as the 27 lb, in terms of width. Ony difference is that the 18 lb is horseshoe shaped, and doesn't have that connecting bit below the tanks, that gives the 27 lb it's donut shape.

So in terms of drag, I would say there is minimal difference as the additional 9 lb lift is below the tank base.

sorry, do you mean the oxycheq 18lb? or does halcyon have an 18lb that I didn't know of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom