The sad passing of Andy Phillips, teacher & friend to many in Utila and across the globe.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laurenceh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 3.39.36 PM.png
As some of you may know, our friend Andy Phillips of Utila Dive Center (UDC) died in a diving accident last week. The tragic incident occurred in the St. Lawrence River in Canada, his body has yet to be recovered.
Andy was a wonderful man who first came to Utila 20 years ago and was a huge influence on not just the promotion of diving in the Bay Islands but throughout the world. He trained 1000's of students from OW - Tech - Instructor.
My fondest memories of him will be of the trips he organized to Wolf and Darwin (Galapagos) each year.

A go fund me page has been set up to assist his family:-
View attachment 525259 Andy worked and had dealings in various countries which has created labyrinth task of trying to track down assets and liabilities which will inevitably create travel costs and more importantly legal representation costs in these various countries. Marie-Claude and Andy’s sister will be trying to navigate these costly issues. The mere fact that it is an ongoing investigation means that Andy is still considered a missing person and only exacerbates the burden on MC and the family.
Click here to support Help family of Andy Phillips organized by Jessi Pfeltz

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. I can't say I knew the guy well. A wave passing on the street, the odd beer if we ran into each other somewhere. He'll be missed for sure.

Hi,
I used to review the demonstration of Padi OW skills with Andy Phillips video, really great.
Are the circumstances of the dive accident known now ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom