The Scuba Goop off topic conversation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if Starbucks was selling McDonalds coffee for 5X the price, that would be worth pointing out to other coffee drinkers, wouldn't it?

:stirpot: Can someone tell me why no one has had a problem with Innovative Scuba Concepts, the company that buys the product and relabels it? Why are we stoning the messenger?

:stirpot: Can someone tell me why no one has had a problem with Innovative Scuba Concepts, the company that buys the product and relabels it? Why are we stoning the messenger?

We don't have to throw as far.

Because scuba.com quashed the review.

As I mentioned previously, I have seen this same one-dollar product selling online for as much as $8.36 as a "made for scuba" item. It's not just scuba.com gouging us.

BTW, Innovative Scuba Concepts is not the only one doing this. Trident sells the same product at the same pumped-up price, but they have the sense to remove the original label.

BTW, Innovative Scuba Concepts is not the only one doing this. Trident sells the same product at the same pumped-up price, but they have the sense to remove the original label.

Was your review product based or just bitching about price?

FloridaRanger......I have stayed well out of this absolutely silly thread until now, but since you have no intent of backing off, I will voice my viewpoint.

As a merchant who also sells this same product, I will give you a few facts.

First, Scuba.com pays Innovative Scuba about $3.10 per bottle for this stuff. Innovative Scuba (and now Trident) purchase this stuff from a distributor, who probably purchases it from the manufacturer. If you order four bottles of it from Scuba.com, you would get free shipping (I think these nuts offer free shipping for any order over $25). The lowest possible cost for traceable shipping to any address in the U.S. is $4.95 via USPS Priority Mail. That brings their DIRECT cost of delivering the four bottles to about $17.35. This is a gross profit of $10.45, before the cost of packaging and handling, and all of the other indirect costs of doing business.

I can PROMISE you that Scuba.com is not going down to the local Hobby Lobby and purchasing this stuff for $1 a bottle, then going to the cost and trouble of printing labels to overlay the "original" label. They are simply purchasing the product from their supplier and taking advantage of a private label program, typical of what you find with mask defog, mask straps, hose protectors, and a variety of other products. It would make no sense to do anything direct, given the low sales volume. With this product, they would be extremely lucky to sell 200 bottles of it in a year. That is a total commerce realization of about $1400 for this product.

Hey, I can fully understand how some people like you feel ripped off. Hey, you should feel the same way about your coffee from either Starbucks or MacDonalds. After all, you could by some land in South America, employ your own under paid workers, handle the growing, picking , packaging, roasting, and all of the rest and probably get your own cup of coffee for under 2 cents per cup.

Grow up and get on a campaign that is worth your considerable efforts.

Oh, if you will combine it with an order of $99 or more, I will sell you ScubaGoop for only $5.95 per bottle.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

It's still cheaper than I can make it. We're talking hamburger, fries and a coke price, the tip at happy hour, nothing to get all riled up about.

Well, if Starbucks was selling McDonalds coffee for 5X the price, that would be worth pointing out to other coffee drinkers, wouldn't it?

Well, not any more but when McDonalds was selling Seattle's Best coffee they were, which is owned by Starbucks.

Relabeling, It's nothing your average grocery store chain doesn't do. All of those store brands by Supervalue, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Walmart or Target. Most of them are often just the same product they contract one of the big manufacturers make for them and label.

So don't go buy the Oms cutting shears or was it XS scuba at your LDS - those are relabeled Fiskars. The label came off a buddy's shears and low and behold there was a Fiskar label. I see them being sold for anywhere from $21.57 to $45.68 on-line. Can't find the Fiskar product - maybe they discontinued it.

Buyer beware - it's called a free market and no store is going to tolerate you marching about in their building with a sign saying go to the other place down the road. But you can certainly march about on public property if you like and try to made your point. It was marginally interesting but I just don't see it as any big deal and it's long grown tiresome - but irresistable popcorn.:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom