The Scuba Goop off topic conversation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many of you are missing some very big points here. 1)- no LDS (except for maybe a sporting goods chain with scuba departments) will ever be able to buy the product at the same price as the art supply chain. You need VOLUME to get those kinds of prices. An LDS might sell 2-3 bottles a week, or a month, where a hobby/art store would sell that many in a day. Go to a local mom & pop hardware store- are their prices the same as Home Depot?

You missed a point. Any dive shop operator of online retailer using the excuse of my supplier charges me $3 and I just mark it up is lazy and worthless if they are told they can purchase it as single bottles for $1 and increase the percentage they mark it up and still sell it for half the price they were selling it for.
A dive shop will still sell a case of the stuff over the course of a year. Better yet at a cost of a buck or less a bottle give it away as a promotional item with the purchase of other items.

You missed a point. Any dive shop operator of online retailer using the excuse of my supplier charges me $3 and I just mark it up is lazy and worthless if they are told they can purchase it as single bottles for $1 and increase the percentage they mark it up and still sell it for half the price they were selling it for.

I hear that the manufacturers are always thrilled to give (for example) Home Depot's discount structure and costs to the ma and pop hardware stores who move a fraction of the volume.....do it all the time :shakehead:.

I do agree that pasting a label over the original is a stupid thing to do however I am not going to play the part of "angry know it all" this time (not directed at you RAWalker). Who here watched Scuba.com apply the label over the other? You guys have all sentenced them to life in prison over $5 when it is quite possible that the distributor that they purchased from did it.

ass picking

Eeeewwww!

Agree with marking it up, whatever the market will bear, or a good price to keep customers loyal, and get new ones. The factory marks it up, their suppliers mark up what they sell to the factory.

If they took down one of my posts I really wouldn't care, or probably even notice. Their forum, they can do what they want. May not be fair, ethical, or promoting sunshine, happiness, puppies, and world peace, but that's their karma.

Scuba.com has been very fair with me in the past. I recently placed an order for a whole bunch of items. One item was on back order, so they held the entire order from shipping. When I called to inquire, I was told that was their process based on anticipated ship dates. After a few minutes on the phone, I received an email apology. The backordered item was substituted for a higher valued item and the entire order was shipped free of charge. NOT FREE SHIPPING, COMPLETLY FREE.

That's how you do business!

Wow that is the way to do business! I will check them out when I get home from my weekend dive trip tonight. I'm pretty sure that scuba.com did say it was the manufacturer that was doing the label over label thing...so it's not them that should catch any lip over this anyhow.

wow! I didn't realize the importance of this thread and a $1 bottle of Goop from being off SB for an entire weekend!

Just like with masks, spit works fine for me.

How does it work on sea stars and sea slugs? I need to brand my herd...

so I take it this means we can put you BOTH down for the group buy then? :thumb:

I am in but I only want to pay $0.50 each because I will take two bottles :D

I hear you get a 10% discount from Scubatoys. have you tried there? :rofl3:

Well, if Starbucks was selling McDonalds coffee for 5X the price, that would be worth pointing out to other coffee drinkers, wouldn't it?

I think you should start a thread (or two) about this.... seriously....

Obviously your an ass

No fair....someone warned you :D.

:rofl3:

So should we be mad at you also for not taking the time to either discuss this with your supplier and get a reduced price to pass on to your customers or order it throught your local art supply store in bulk for less than $1/per bottle (considering a quantity purchase) and marking it up to $2-3 and earning our business and admiration?

whooooaaaaaa.......

w.t.f. ?

you really think that Phil or Scuba.com gives a rats ass about spending an hour of their day fussing over the price of a $5 item that is bought and sold in such low quantity?

the reason it's $5-$7 bucks is because IT'S A LOW QUANTITY, LOW VOLUME ITEM.

Spending time on the phone arguing about it would negate any profits made form the item prob for an ENTIRE year.

Dive Shops can't make any money like Walmart marking up an item 10% and making 20 cents on it. Walmart buys direct, and buys by the tractor trailer load and sells millions of units a year. most LDS's prob don't sell more than 20 of these a year.

We've already proven that the manufacturer puts a new label on an old product. To do so, they had to buy a large amount, have the printer made new labels, take them all out of the box, put on the new label, re-package them, ship them to a scuba distributor, who then sells them to the LDS, who then sells them to you. Every one of these middle-men takes a cut.

this is why the product costs so much.

I don't speak for Phil, but I'm betting that he'd rather you just go to Walmart and buy it than have to sit and explain it or have to call the supplier about a $5 product.

Why oh why has this train wreck not been moved to Whine 'n' Cheeze yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom