The Scuba Van

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is giving me some ideas for my SS Outback (had an '03 Impreza WRX, so the Outback feels like a boat).

I'd like to design a frame on the bottom that can be removed, but has rails that gives me access to things inside. These would have to be rather heavy duty rails.

Wow. A lot of comments to respond to.

I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a set of these for that weight. My parents had a Sienna from the same era and it was quite a low rider when we had it loaded down for family vacations. This will get it the back end up to help save on the springs/shocks and more importantly keep your headlights down where they are supposed to be and more weight on the front end where you get all of your power/steering/braking.
2005 Toyota Sienna Air Lift 1000 Air Bag Helper Springs 60732 | SuspensionConnection.com

Already on order from etrailer.com.

Nice setup! You are a good carpenter!

Thanks. Not so sure about the "good carpenter" bit, but I do what I can.

Give some serious consideration to the propane tank. It is not legit to have one in an enclosed space like that.

I did. The propane tank is in a sealed propane box that vents to the outside of the van through the bottom. Propane is heavier than air so if there would be a leak it would sink and go outside. This is similar what they do with some camper van builds. The tank is dot tank meant for transport within a car.

Using that propane tank on its side is dangerous.

That propane tank is built to be horizontal and not vertical. It would actually be bad to use it in the vertical position. The only time it is horizontal is when it is being filled.

But is it a scuba van or a BBQ van?

They are the same. I had hopped to grill for other divers this past weekend but there was no-one around. It was kind of sad.

Very nice @Dubious ,

At the risk of emasculating myself, I must admit I really miss our family "Soccer Mom Van." It was a 2000 Honda Odyssey. With two cargo doors and a nice rear hatch like your van, it was great for loading/unloading dive gear. This was especially so after I removed the center row seat next to the right cargo door. I could easily bolt down my tank rack to the seat floor mounts, then chain the tanks into the rack.

Thanks to your post, I now miss the Ody even more.

From my personal experience they coincide.

Finishing a dive with out our portable BBQ just doesn't feel right

This is so true. I must admit I got the idea from one of our local dive shops that leases a private quarry. They built a pavilion, have benches to sit on and set up gear, fire pit always going, and a grill. There are so many dive sites in the middle of nowhere and it just seemed like a great idea to have a large enough grill that can cook enough food for others. The problem with the larger grill is they go through so much propane. that 22 inch Blackstone (which isn't even that large) would only last around 3 meals on one of the 1 pound propane disposable bottles. Further it just generated so much waste. This is why I had to figure out how to get a 20 pound tank into the van safely. No need to worry about running out of propane, easy to fill, and will be useful for staying warm in the colder months.

'd like to design a frame on the bottom that can be removed, but has rails that gives me access to things inside. These would have to be rather heavy duty rails.

I wanted to make something that would be easily removed so I can get the van to its original state. I originally planned to adhere the frame to the van only using rivet screw inserts. In the end I just came to the realization that I would not ever fully take out the platform, plus it was a pane to get everything inline with the minivan. (not decided to be built out like that) I also was unsure if the rivet screw inserts would be enough to keep everything down with the amount of pull those tank drawers have when fully extended. I bit the bullet and glued everything down in addition to screwing it into the rivet screw inserts I set into the van sheet metal. At 187k the van isn't worth much so I will run it until it dies.

I might make some changes so the three cabinets come out easier. I wanted to maybe use L-track but ran out of time. I still might do that. This would not only make it easier to remove and reinstall but the l-track would give other options when not scuba diving like adding l-track back mounts. We will see.

At the risk of emasculating myself, I must admit I really miss our family "Soccer Mom Van."

There was a time that I wanted anything but a van but I grew out of that. Minivans are are so versatile. For this build I was able to load 4x8 3/4 plywood into the van. That said I still would love to have a larger commercial van like a sprinter but they cost too much.

@Dubious

I'm thinking of having adjustable legs that swing into place via a hinge to give support. Height adjustable in order to accommodate rough ground. Does this make sense?

I'll probably do this when lumber prizes come down as I dont want to have to sell one of my kidneys.

In that case...
Very well thought out. Amazing build!

They are the same. I had hopped to grill for other divers this past weekend but there was no-one around. It was kind of sad.

Where are you? I like food about as much as I like diving:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom