The Search for North Americas Oldest Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job Scott. Although I am far more interested in the early European ships that sank between 1678-1804, it is interesting to see the remote locations that you have searched.

This is what I have researched as the oldest wrecks in the lakes system.

Frontenac 1678
Griffin 1679
Unnamed sloop wrecked in Lake Ontario 1732
Entire Wilkens Expedition 1753 Lake Erie
Iroquois 1767
Speedy 1783
Esperance Lake Huron 1787
Washington 1799
(HMS?) Hope Lake Huron 1804

Well, those are all laudable research efforts and I wish you the best of luck. If you are into early historical shipwrecks of the Great lakes no one has really made much of an effort to track down the early Hudsons Bay Sailing vessels that operated on Lake Superior prior to the locks at the Sault St Marie, the Beaver, the Otter etc.,
One of the cool things about my prehistoric underwater archaeology project is that the plan is to produce a feature-length documentary on the subject. I am starting to shoot the trailer this spring.

Still putting it all together, but it is time to go diving. You want to be involved in an underwater archaeology project and be in the movie send me a pm.

Attachments

• IMG_9471.gif
    IMG_9471.gif
    259.2 KB · Views: 174

Back
Top Bottom