The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good :) Note that hardware based features like audible beepers and vibration motors can't be added to existing units.

Best regards,
Tyler

Whilst on the topic of alerts, a requested feature would be to have the ability to select an alert type (out of the 4 of them) for each type of event: Warnings, Critical Warnings, Errors (from p.22)

@DiveGearExpress , it would be soooo nice if we could see a picture of it on your wrist, so we can have a rough idea about the size of it? Pretty please? :p

We now have Lisa's professional product photography of an actual Teric dive computer up on its description page at Dive Gear Express, including a shot of the Teric on the wrist.

Shearwater Research Teric

Maybe a silly idea, but would it be possible to implement tissue status/CNS clock sync between multiple computers (and models - like Perdix and Teric), maybe over BT, so it will be two button presses and done?
Or maybe this can be achieved by syncing dive history between them?
For example you will go on a vacation, will do intensive recreational diving for couple of days (multiple dives a day, light nitrox ofc., with Teric as you want to be really cool), but the opportunity to do some deeper (bp/w + twins) dives will suddenly arise and because you don't want to offend anyone with wrist watch dive computer, you would like to bring Perdix for those dives.
Or you can do deeper first (half a day trip), recreational after (afternoon).
I mean I really like the Perdix, don't consider it obsolete now as it works exceptionally well with thick gloves, you can do bungee mount, you have simple two button interface but wrist watch dive computer might be more appropriate in some situations.

Maybe a silly idea, but would it be possible to implement tissue status/CNS clock sync between multiple computers (and models - like Perdix and Teric), maybe over BT, so it will be two button presses and done?
For example you will go on a vacation, will do intensive recreational diving for couple of days (multiple dives a day, light nitrox ofc., with Teric as you want to be really cool), but the opportunity to do some deeper (bp/w + twins) dives will suddenly arise and because you don't want to offend anyone with wrist watch dive computer, you would like to bring Perdix for those dives.
I mean I really like the Perdix, don't consider it obsolete now as it works exceptionally well with thick gloves, you can do bungee mount, you have simple two button interface but wrist watch dive computer might be more appropriate in some situations.
Why woud anyone think that the Teric makes the Perdix obsolete? It's just a different form factor that might be more appealing to some divers.

Don't know about "silly", but that sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

The problem that you are trying to solve is really pretty unlikely to occur in the real world - a diver brings a Perdix and a Teric on a trip, uses one for some dives and the other for others? The reason for preferring a Perdix to a Teric might be a preference for a larger display or easier manipulation with heavy gloves. But none of that would change on a trip based on the profile, right?

On the other hand, I can definitely see some problem with trying to sync critical tissue loading information over bluetooth or whatever. I wouldn't change DCs in the middle of a trip without a LONG surface interval, even if that feature was available.

Carry both computers on every dive. When you want to look less tech-ish, put the Perdix in a pocket (BCD pocket; spare mask pocket on BP/W harness; dry suit pocket). When you want to look more tech-ish put the Teric in the pocket. Unless you will be switching gases on the tech dives, in which case wear both and don't worry about looking cool.

I don't understand why skin contact is impossible with a dry suit (excuse my unfamiliarity) and why a chest / wrist based HRM transmitter couldn't be worn under an undergarment thereby providing skin contact.

For the benefit of readers also confused about the ability of HRM to work underwater when a watch/device can't be on an exposed wrist/skin; there's two prerequisites 1/ skin contact (of HR measuring tool), and, 2/ transmission from tool to device. The technology doesn't yet exist for #2 underwater, only on land.

Why it doesn't utilise tech similar to how tank pressure data is transmitted I don't know - R&D perhaps - (another thread I guess). It seems the HR info isn't too reliable either. (source of info: The Best Waterproof Heart Rate Monitors for Swimming)

For the benefit of readers also confused about the ability of HRM to work underwater when a watch/device can't be on an exposed wrist/skin; there's two prerequisites 1/ skin contact (of HR measuring tool), and, 2/ transmission from tool to device. The technology doesn't yet exist for #2 underwater, only on land.

Why it doesn't utilise tech similar to how tank pressure data is transmitted I don't know - R&D perhaps - (another thread I guess). It seems the HR info isn't too reliable either. (source of info: The Best Waterproof Heart Rate Monitors for Swimming)
Of all I wish for, HR monitoring is near the bottom of the list.

Right, while I have a waterproof Garmin HR monitor strap that does record my HR when doing swim workouts at the pool. I have to wait tell I'm done swimming and out of the water before it will sync/upload/whatever.

Right, while I have a waterproof Garmin HR monitor strap that does record my HR when doing swim workouts at the pool. I have to wait tell I'm done swimming and out of the water before it will sync/upload/whatever.
I have a Polar HR monitor for my elliptical trainer, it does not tell me anything I do not already know, I am training at HR or not. I can tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom