The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Shearwater, few questions:

1. Is it possible to have GF99 and Surface GF to be combined into 1 display item similar to the combined TX/GTR? This can then be added to the customizable info screen.
Currently, the GF99 info screen with SurfGF is 6 presses (steps) away and times out in 10 sec. I monitor GF99 when on Deco (what else can you do :) ) and it would be valuable to also see the SurfGF.
No. But I will log this as a feature request. Keep in mind that logging a feature request is not a promise that this feature gets implemented nor does it imply any implementation timing if we decide to do this.

2. In the current UI, the Compass Info Screen is 3 presses (steps) away. However, when the Compass Info Screen is displayed on the Info Row (3rd row), you can’t “Mark” a heading. You have to go to menu —> dive tools —> compass —> Mark heading —> press return button to go back to home screen. Would be nice to also be able to Mark a heading while on the Compass info screen or using the floating magnetic north dot to minimize key presses. This assumes that the Func button is already reserved for another item, say stopwatch.
Again, no, but a feature request is in order. Remember, no promises.

3. Just confirming that the Teric can’t use the SW Desktop on the Mac? Only SW Cloud? I currently use the SW Desktop for the Petrel. Is it being phased out?
The Teric is only supported by Shearwater Cloud (both Mobile and Desktop). Cloud may have some capabilities that Desktop doesn't, but Desktop also has some capabilities that Cloud does not. Our focus currently is improving the quality and feature set of the Cloud software.

4. For long term Battery Health, is fast charging harmful?
Fast charging is not harmful to the battery.

The slow (default) rate, keeps the input current to the charger below 500mA. Many USB power sources (such as USB 2.0 ports on desktop or laptop computers) can only supply 500mA.

The fast rate requires a 1A power supply. Most AC wall adapters with a USB output will supply 1A or more.

We chose the slow rate as the default as it has wider compatibility with various USB power sources. If you are using a wall adapter or USB 3.0 port, then you can choose the fast charge option.

Overall, the Teric is super impressive. Taking it out for it’s first dive tomorrow. I’m also able to recharge it with a small 3rd party 10000mah powerbank that is also a combo wireless charger.
Thank you for the kind words.

Here are some pics of the different color "themes" that are preloaded on the Teric (there is also a user customizable theme). Note that, according to the manual, the "OC Rec" and vibration alert symbols are only visible on the surface and will disappear during a dive. Also, pictures don't fully capture how truly vibrant the display is - the colors just really pop in person!

Standard:
i-4wjXLCF-M.jpg

Sunlight:
i-9VFSvx9-M.jpg

Night:
i-ng7hvx3-M.jpg

Predator:
i-JrrWKPJ-M.jpg

Attachments

• i-9VFSvx9-L.jpg
    i-9VFSvx9-L.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 60
  • i-ng7hvx3-L.jpg
    i-ng7hvx3-L.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 54
  • i-JrrWKPJ-L.jpg
    i-JrrWKPJ-L.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thanks - it's great to see you actively participating here on SB. I just ordered one from my local shop, Diveseekers, and look forward to reading the manual when you put it on line!
You might have to go to Philadelphia to pick it up :-(

You might have to go to Philadelphia to pick it up :-(
I picked it up at Hillsborough on Thursday. Wayne and Jason were there and told me about the announcement that would be posted on FB the next day. Bummer that the shop is closing - nothing remotely close now. I found Treasure Cove Divers in Westfield in a google search but, alas, it appears they just shuttered late last year as well!

It was nice having a local shop. It especially sucks for service as not sure I want to drive an hour to Philly (versus 5 minutes to Hillsborough). I'm also concerned about the viability of that location as they've only been around for 7 years? I will need to see what other options are out there - but major bummer on losing a local shop and knowledgeable staff!

Last edited:
Too big to wear as a watch for me, but I would love to wear it as a dive computer :)
Agreed - I'll only wear it as a watch on dive trips.

Any chance there could be an option to set the watch time in accordance with a phone's time?

As I'm planning to wear this as my only watch on dive trips, not having to worry about manually setting for each time zone would be great. This is one of the reasons I bought a smart watch for travel - phones will always flip to the correct local-provider supplied time, so it would be great if the watch could use that data too!

One or two day battery life is a non starter for me. If you could incorporate a well designed B/W LED screen with a battery life numbered in months and not hours in another model at a lower price I would probably buy one. My eyesight sucks, but with supplemental lenses on my mask I have no problem reading a GEO 2. I understand that a segment of divers need self illuminating digits, but for me it is a non essential luxury that comes at too high a price.

I picked it up at Hillsborough on Thursday. Wayne and Jason were there and told me about the announcement that would be posted on FB the next day. Bummer that the shop is closing - nothing remotely close now. I found Treasure Cove Divers in Westfield in a google search but, alas, it appears they just shuttered late last year as well!

It was nice having a local shop. It especially sucks for service as not sure I want to drive an hour to Philly (versus 5 minutes to Hillsborough). I'm also concerned about the viability of that location as they've only been around for 7 years? I will need to see what other options are out there - but major bummer on losing a local shop and knowledgeable staff!
I had no idea they were brought out. I placed an order for my dive computer days ago, and was told the end of the month. So sad to see they been acquired.

Last edited:
One or two day battery life is a non starter for me. If you could incorporate a well designed B/W LED screen with a battery life numbered in months and not hours in another model at a lower price I would probably buy one. My eyesight sucks, but with supplemental lenses on my mask I have no problem reading a GEO 2. I understand that a segment of divers need self illuminating digits, but for me it is a non essential luxury that comes at too high a price.
No one “needs” most of the things they aquire in life - but the Teric is an incredible DC and, if you can afford it, you won’t be disappointed.

The build quality is excellent and the display is second to none, as is the user interface and feature set. I really like the haptic (vibration) alert and it can be customized for duration and repeats.

For me, the battery life is a non-issue as I don’t normally wear a watch, and would only do so on a dive trip. On those trips, it’s really not a bother to drop it in it’s charger every night or two (or three?) as needed. It’s actually a nice little alarm clock while charging.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom